Author Topic: rechamber to 35 Whelen?  (Read 329 times)

Offline Westbound

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
rechamber to 35 Whelen?
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »
Is it possible to rechamber a 357 mag barrel to 35 Whelen?
I've always thought it would be cool to have a Whelen, but I couldn't justify the expense of buying/building a bolt gun.
The handi platform would be just about perfect.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: rechamber to 35 Whelen?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »
do a search and read about the .35 Handi barrels. I have an early 26" RMEF .35 Whelen barrel and it is GREAT!! They made some 22" barrels lately that some have had trouble with but myself and others think most of the problems were ammo related. You might post a WTB for a .35 Whelen barrel and hope to get an early 26" (hard to come by) or get a 22" for much less money and load for it or get good ammo for it. The cheapest way out....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Chickasaw Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »
You might want to check the twist rates of the .357 and the .35 Whelen. I don't know what they are  but suspect they are different. The "standard" twist  for 35 Whelen in Remington factory guns is 1:16. MSR's advice to put up and ad would be as he said, probably cheaper and if the twist in the .357 is optomized  for a pistol bullet at pistol velocity then it might not work very well for rifle bullets and rifle velocity. Good luck. I have a Whelen and it's a great caliber. CH
Always remember that when seconds count the Police are only minutes away!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:28:41 PM »
The 357Mag barrel has a 1:18¾" twist rate and works fine in other .35 Cal chamberings as long as the bullet isn't too long, I have a 35 Rem Handi that was rechambered from a 357Max, it shoots 240gr cast bullets great to 100yds, haven't shot it past that yet,  but 200gr round nose bullets in a 358Win or 35Whelen should work great, I've shot 250gr spitzers into less that an inch at 100yds with my 1:16" RMEF 35 Whelen, whether they would still be stabilized at 300yds I dunno, maybe someday I find out!! ;D There have been several discussion about rechambering the 357Mag to 358Win or Whelen, use the search feature to find them. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain