Author Topic: Grandsons Christmas Present  (Read 941 times)

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Grandsons Christmas Present
« on: December 15, 2008, 03:51:17 AM »
I inherited a grandson about 5 years back. It was a package deal.. I tried to get close to him..But he has 3 sets of grand parents and several sets of step grandparents..Who compete for his attention..And if anyone gets a little to close then one of them for sure step in and out dollar you...If the worst step grandfather know's what you have bought him for Christmas he will go and buy the same thing and give it to him 2 weeks before....He has no children of his own..And ..Oh well anyway.  I built a hunting shack we use and My son asked to take Tyler.. I got irritated at first..Telling him that the law is the law and that He was NOT to shoot anything. He has to go through a  Safety course and get his gun card. Then we can hunt. Now this little fella is almost 13 and about the size of the average 8 year old. But his dad took him to the shack and hunted with him, Tyler spotted the deer and told my son. He was so excited about it.He says he cant wait to get the class and to get legal so he can hunt next year. My son was sure that he needed a 20ga deer barrel gun. I dont think so ( I am afraid it would hurt him). So he has been spending more time here with the wife and I....On his own choice. He told me again that he wanted me to take him to the class. So I thought I would give this a try. I bought him a nice Bowtech bow 4 years ago for Christmas and he loves to go to the range with me. But I dropped the ball there from work schedule and nobody picked it back up...yet. But any way I went and bought him a H&R pardner .410  3" youth model... A case, a box of shells  His mother said it was OK but she would rather it stay at my house for awhile. Maybe things will cgange for he and I I sure hope so. Drop

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Grandsons Christmas Present
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:01:29 AM »
Keep that up and you will be his favorite "grandpaw".

Offline czar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 07:32:44 AM »
Time is what your grand child needs and sounds like you are doing it buying him toys like the others do is never going to out weigh the time you spend afield with him. my grand father gave me a remington mod. 514 22 when i was eight and i still have it taught my son how to use it .and he knows the history of this fine weapon . that young one in the back of that truck looks very happy .teach him every thing about deer that you know and take him out deer hunting .He will never forget that. He will talk to his freinds about the times that you and him had afield long after you are gone off this earth what greater gift is that!
CZAR
No one man is smarter than ten that is why i am here
Rem.30-06 7400
Rem. 12GA Express Deer
Rem. 22 mod 514
Mos.12GA 500 Deer
T/C Scout 50 Cal.
N.E.F. Sidekick 50 cal

Offline CaptainJack

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:32:06 AM »
Good for you Drop.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 05:14:38 PM »
  Thumbs up to you PAW PAW :). I think you are to be commended for you effort. Keep it up and you will have another hunting partner. ;)

Lonny

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 12:02:24 AM »
  That's awesome! I help raise my son's brother, not mine. His dad split years ago. But the good thing is, he calls me dad, too! He caught his first fish awhile back, a sand bass(white bass), and smiled from ear to ear. He is special needs so hunting is still a few years away. But, keep it up Grandpa, I'm sure you are his hero.  ;)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »

I'd say that if you don't play the same game the others do ( and I doubt you would) the kid will most likely come to you.
 He'll see the true value in life.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 02:49:57 AM »
Be assured that you are the grandparent that will be the most valued when he thinks back on exreiences and lessons learned as an adult.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
You're doing the right thing Droptine...Keep up the good work and thanks for help to keep the hunting flames fanned in another youngster...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:51:20 AM »
I was going to take him out to shoot it at the range today...supposed to be 44 here in Illinois..But the wind id howling..and my son wants to go along..So looks like New Year's day were all 3 going out... I am going to go get him and just plug around with him for the day one day this week. Drop

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
You're alright in my book Drop.
He's a lucky young man. ;)

Spanky

Offline buckslayer

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »
knowing other hunters out there are so generous makes me proud to be a hunter. 
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »
Thank You ... Drop