Author Topic: new to muzzle loading  (Read 476 times)

Offline cornfedboy2000

• Trade Count: (0)
new to muzzle loading
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:49:46 PM »
Ok, just got my first muzzle loader...sad but true.  just looking for some opinions as i've been searching and can't seem to find enough info.  First off... powder or pellets?  What kinds?  I'm hunting N Wi whitetail, and want to stretch as far as I can.  Oh, forgot... I have an Encore 209/50.  Next, what grain bullet/grain propellant load has worked best for you guys?  I know these are very rookie questions, but I have to start somewhere. 

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: new to muzzle loading
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 06:27:42 PM »
Is N Wi Northern Wisconsin?
If so, since you cant use a scope- get a williams peep sight with a twilight peep (from EABCO.COM) you might have to order the twilight peep from williams.
Shopping List:

-T/C ez-tip extractor
-T/C PowerRod ramrod
-extended jad
-300 grain shockwaves (superglide sabots)
-50 Grain 777 pellets
-30 Grain 777 pellets
-T/C presaturated cleaning patches
-Cotton patches
-Breech plug pick
-Breech plug grease/teflon tape
-777 primers(or remington)
-eye and ear protection
-spray can of rem oil
-Plano shotgun shell box to hold everything
-an understanding wife

Most of the more experienced shooters here use loose powder but that is more stuff to buy and increases the possibility of making a mistake. (you don't want to make a mistake with a muzzleloader)

At home:
-Take the gun down (per the manual)
-remove the breech plug
-clean all assembly grease from b-plug and barrel
-apply grease or teflon tape to the threads of the breech plug-DO NOT IGNORE THIS STEP!
-reassemble (per the manual) with the new ez.tip-extractor in place of the original (if you didn't buy one-don't re-install the original- you can't remove the breech plug without taking the whole gun apart)

First time at the range:
-go to the 25 yd range
-pop a couple of primers to clear the bore
-start with 80 grains (1 50/1 30 pellet)
-push bullet/sabot down bore
-fire
-reload
-fire
-reload (Is it getting hard to reload?)
-fire
-Check target
-adjust sights
-clean bore (two solvent patches, three dry patches, two primers to clear breechplug)

Once you get on the paper move out to 50 yards and you can start playing with loads. With the 30 and 50 grain pellets you can get 50,60,80,90,100,110,120,130,and 150

-130 with the 300 grain shockwaves shoots the best for me- you might have better luck with different weight bullets, but I hope I have given you a place to start. Good luck and good shootin,

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:19:10 AM »
http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

A lot of good info on the above link as well.
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »
What muzzle loader did you get? Im sure once we know, you'll have a load of help.

Offline cornfedboy2000

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:35:20 PM »
I've had an encore for a while now, and finally picked up the 209/50 barrel for it.  From what I've been seeing people are having good luck with the 777 pellets.  I'm gonna want to stretch to 200 (if the gun will do it) so some friends suggested 3 pellets of 777 and a 250 grain sst any feed back?