Author Topic: A Good Find...Have Gun  (Read 588 times)

TM7

A Good Find...Have Gun
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:04:01 AM »
 While in my local library over the Holidays I found the complete "Have Gun Will Travel" series on DVD....about 253 episodes if I recall in all. Those of us that grew up in the 1950's likely remember this series as it was about as popular as Gunsmoke. Remarkably, I have never seen this series running on current Tee-Vee so I was pleased to check it out. It brought back alot of memories; and surprising to see just how many stars were in these episodes and the writers that often wrote the episodes. The thing about Have Gun Will Travel was that the plot and character development was always good compared to modern day standards; with a little moral to the story and some philosophy as good triumphed over evil most of the time. Bad thing is how they always threw their guns around on the rocks and dirt. Richard Boone was a pretty quick draw. Great series, with great scenery, that I think could not be reproduced today or appreciated by todays audiences. Ask your library to get it if they don't have it already.

..TM7

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: A Good Find...Have Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:09:09 AM »
Yep, I always liked that series as a kid, and nowadays when I see an episode I still enjoy it....I look at the charactor as sort of a Jeff Cooper, a "bon vivant", with his "hand-made Hamilton".
Mark

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »
I had xm radio for a while and likes the radio version as well.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline OHHJIMMY

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:07:55 PM »
GRIMJIM, what channel is it on? I remember listening to the radio version when I was a kid. Of course, I never missed the tv show. Gotta love that Richard Boone!

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 12:46:07 PM »
I'll check out our library and see if they have it. I never watched HGWT as a kid. My favorite was The Rifleman. My 15 year old daughter is a big time Roy Rogers fan, so I think we will both enjoy it. We recently borrowed some old westerns on dvd that included some Rifleman episodes. The quality of the stories is so much better than what is made for tv now. One of the shows was an old Death Valley Days episode that was about a young school teacher who was quite a good pistol shot. Her class found out how good she was when she shot down a ball two misbehaving boys were throwing around the classroom! She also used her marksmanship to save one of her students from a rattlesnake. How politically incorrect is that!
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »
GRIMJIM, what channel is it on? I remember listening to the radio version when I was a kid. Of course, I never missed the tv show. Gotta love that Richard Boone!

Actually I don't remember the number but it was radio classics I believe.

They played all the old radio shows: the shadow, Inner sanctum, have gun will travel, the lone ranger, superman. All the classic shows. I used to listen to them all the time.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 01:09:15 PM »
'Twas one of my favorites as well.  Can you imagine a teacher packing heat today and shooting a ball out of mid air. HAR !!!
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline OHHJIMMY

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 02:06:13 PM »
I found it. It's channel 164, I think. I'll be checking it out to see what's on.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:24:33 PM »
Somewheres in my collection of junk (er collection of stuff) I have a couple of the
"Have Gun Will Travel" cards. I still like the one his wife had (Joke) but if I post it here the Grand Pubba would lash me.  :o

Gun Runner