Author Topic: 45/70 Buffalo Classic?  (Read 659 times)

Offline Walks with a gimp

• Trade Count: (0)
45/70 Buffalo Classic?
« on: January 04, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »
   Has anyone compared the accuracy of the higher end single shot 45/70's with the Buffalo Classic?  I know that handloading plays a big part but take that into consideration and tell me, tuned loads and all the tricks,, does the B/C compare favorably?

Thanks in advance!

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
Re: 45/70 Buffalo Classic?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/feb97money.html

Not about a 45/70, but it is revelant!
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »
Here's a little friendly competition tween a 45-70 Handi and a Pedersoli Sharps.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,131193.msg1098487324.html#msg1098487324
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:30:46 AM »
I owned both the Handi and the Buffalo Classic at the same time.I did my own relative accuracy test with the two rifles and I found the Handi to be just as accurate as the BC.It is much easier to contend with the shorter barrel in a hunting situation so I sold the BC.That is just my experience.YMMV.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:53:47 AM »
I have a couple of Trapdoors, a Winchester, a TC, a Marlin, two Sharps reproductions and a BC.  Depending on the load used each can be accurate except for one trapdoor which might make it to minute of deer at 25 yards.  Poor old rifle was badly treated prior to my owning it.

Point is cost is not as important as the luck of the draw when getting the rifle, some just shoot better than others, although the really spendy rifles usually have a bit better barrel.  My BC has been a bugger to get to come into line but I'm making progress.  Had the same problem with the Marlin and one of the Imitation Sharps but persistence paid off and they both shoot better than I can hold now.  Same will happen with the BC.  Some folks here have BC's that I would love to duplicate the targets they have shown.

When it really comes down to it more targets are messed up by the shooter than the rifle or ammo.  That's been my experience at any rate and the majority of really good riflemen I've known seem to agree with this.  That being said, there are some rifles, like that poor old Trapdoor, that simply don't have any accuracy to squeeze out of them.  Regardless of the price.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline Walks with a gimp

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »
  Thanks for the link Quickdtoo, I think it answered all my questions and where I stand with what I'm expecting.

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 03:23:59 PM »
Here's another testament to the Buffalo Classic ... http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,119506.0.html
Regards
John Boy