Author Topic: Kahr CW40 ??  (Read 779 times)

Offline hogrdr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Kahr CW40 ??
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:43:14 PM »
Wife started talking about a month ago she wanted her own CCW. Feels with me being out of town allot and her being home alone she needs her own gun. Talked to a friend who is a County detective told me to check out Kahr CW40 since I didn't want to spend allot. Found one in local classifieds for $225.00 with extra clip 200 rounds through it. We took it out today and she put 75 rounds of cheap American Eagle 165 gr. FMJ through it with out a problem. She can hit what she aims at with the little bugger that's for sure. She is not new to guns as she has shot my Ruger single six in deer camp over the last 30 years.
Question is for those who have them are they a good gun that she can trust? Any Pros or Cons would be helpful! Oh by the way she is registered for CCW class January 8th maybe she is serious about this and if so I wouldn't mind spending more down the road but she sure likes the fit.
Thanks Hog

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: Kahr CW40 ??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »
 My only experience with one is a friend's. He loves it. Hardly a failure to feed/fire/eject according to him, and I know he's put a lot of rounds through it.

He did have to have the plastic mag release replaced because it was being chewed up by the mags and wouldn't keep the mag secure; Kahr put in a new one that has a steel insert molded into it. Also, he had an issue with a sharp/rough edge on the slide shaving plastic off of the grip-frame. He smoothed it out with a stone and says it's okay now.

I've shot it on a few occasions, but just can't warm up to it. Feels great in my hand (when not firing it) but the corn-cob texture on the front/rear grip areas and the light weight of the gun combined with the somewhat hefty recoil of the 40 cal doesn't make me want to put more than one mag per session through it.

It does seem to be surprisingly accurate for such a small gun; good marks for Kahr on that.

I've read good and bad about their plastic-framed guns; some trust their lives to them, others have had reliability problems...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline hogrdr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:53:58 AM »
Victor
I was worried about the recoil being on the hard side. It was a cold day around 36 degrees and she was wearing gloves. I only shot about 25 of the 75 and she never complained. In fact the more she shot it the better she got. Maybe the gloves helped but I'm going to try to find a slip on for the handle to get better grip but not sure if they make them to fit. Kahr does make some sort of padded handle cover. Wanted a 9mm but the price was right since new they are around $400.00 here.
Hog

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 05:11:39 AM »
I think Kahr enjoys a fairly good reputation.
The ones I have seen looked good as far as fit and finish. The .40 should be better than a 9mm, IMO.
225 seems like a good price. I would do it. If she runs on a problem it should be fixable and you arn't out that much to begin with.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 07:01:46 AM »
They seem nice enough guns but don't hold much if any more than a snub nose revolver. That's the single biggest shortcoming of them in my opinion.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »
I have a CW9 and CW45 and haven't had a problem with either of them. A friend of mine has the CW40 and has only had problems with the reloads our local indoor range has. No problems with factory ammo. He recently passed his concealed carry class with it.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline hogrdr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
Took her to indoor range tonight and grips did hurt her hand without gloves. Guess I'll invest in grip covers supplied at Kahr store has anyone used these? http://www.kahrshop.com/index2.asp?cate=acc&model=grips Remind me not to piss off wife guess it's one of the down falls of her shooting.

Hog

Offline ruffhunter

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 05:30:32 PM »
I carry a K40 as my duty back up.  Very accurate, good traditional trigger.  Leaves you feeling confident.