Author Topic: AR-15 Upper??  (Read 696 times)

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
AR-15 Upper??
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:37:54 AM »
If i bought a upper without a bolt and carrier and chargeing handel,when i got it could i take the bolt and carrier and chargeing handle out of 1 of my uppers and put it in the new upper? what would i have to do? would i have to gauge and head space it or just put the bolt and carrier and chargeing handle in it and i am good to go shoot the rifle?
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: AR-15 Upper??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:11:46 AM »
you will need a lower also. ;D
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:32:52 AM »
If you already have one upper that is complete (has a bolt carrier assembly & charging handle) then you should definately be able to use it in another upper if it's of the same manufacturer and caliber.  If your trying to put Brand "X" parts into a Brand "Y" upper you have a small chance that you may run into some issues.  Many AR's are supposed to be mil-spec, but each manufacturer is going to have their own little differences.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »
Well no chit i need a lower, how many i need have 2.so if they are both 5.56 nato uppers the bolt out of my willson 5.56 would work in another, what ever brand 5.56 upper ? is this right or am i going to run in to problems
1 shot 1 kill

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »
are they both new? i think you may run into a problem with wear patterns if you keep swapping between the two
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:31:53 PM »
The bolt and carrier i want to use on a new upper has about 250 rounds through it, so it sounds like to me u CAN NOT use a bolt and carrier out of upper for another upper. i thought more people would chim in on this subject that might Know for sure, but it dont look like they have  :'(
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:21:02 PM »
I have no first hand personal experience to back it up but from my reading on the matter you should be able to. I guess I just don't understand why you'd want to.  ??? Are you taking the other upper out of commission?  ???

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:54:37 PM »
Well there is nothing wrong with the upper, i am just want another configuration upper the upper i am going to take off is a 20" wilson 1:9 twist that is a flat top and has a gas block on it and a free floating hand guard and a scope. i am wanting to get a 16" heavy barrel not bull barrel with a a2 upper,i can get this upper less bolt and carrier and chargeing handle for 305.00 ,the bolt and carrier and chargeing handle is a extra 140 dollers Y BUY it if i have 1 in the upper i already have
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 07:13:35 PM »
Why not sell the one you have now if you don't like it and get not only the $140 but some extra to help pay for the new one? Heck I might even be interested but would need more info and photos and a reasonable price. I am gonna but an upper for my Armalite lower eventually. What you have might work I'd need to see it and know more about it. But for sure if you place it on the Classifieds someone will buy it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 02:58:13 AM »
bolts and carriers should all be milspec and should be able to be swapped from one gun to another.
blue lives matter

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 05:27:49 AM »
Thanks, Lloyd Smale thats what i was wonting to hear,and GB the upper is not for sale thats whats nice about these ar's u can change uppers in a minute and have a hole other rifle,the more uppers u have the more diffrant kinds or configurations the rifle can have
1 shot 1 kill