Author Topic: NEF Survivor 410/45 LC  (Read 1728 times)

Offline moose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
NEF Survivor 410/45 LC
« on: December 27, 2008, 02:35:24 AM »
I am going to buy a Survivor this week, does anyone remember if the new ones come drilled and tapped for scope rail???? Also anyone had good or bad results with this gun???? would be my "truck gun" or "4wheeler gun"..just something to throw in the truck or golf cart, to shoot critters i run up on on my farm and or the hunting lease. thanks for all replies.

ps ---which load /brand/ grain shoots best 45lc in these guns.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: NEF Survivor 410/45 LC
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 06:17:44 AM »
The 45/410 never has been drilled and tapped, the website doesn't indicate it is, but it can be drilled and tapped, Gardner did it when asked, or a smith can do it. Try the search button, lots of posts on it, 45 Colt accuracy is mediocre due to the long jump to the rifling. ;)

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/ShotgunsAndRifles/survivor.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline moose

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 02:15:28 AM »
Thanks for the info. anyone got one that has been drilled and tapped????pic's...........i was going to put a Bushnell banner scope on it and have it for my "golf cart hunting buggy gun"........... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.........

Offline moose

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 04:01:32 AM »
got me a new year's gift............the handi in 45LC/410. 8)...........now it needs to be drilled and tapped w/ a Bushnell Banner scope..........and some ammo....and a sling..........the list goes on and on ;D ;D ::) ;D ;D......and a wild hog out about 50 yrds, so i can test the 45LC..........and some oak and hickory wood......and my bar-b-que pit ;D

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:22:05 PM »
The 410 does what it was ment to . A small game getter. The .45 also functions as ment.  a very close range survival hunting and defense  cartridge.  I wouldn't  try to push either 0ver 25 yrds.You will be dissapointed.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »
I like my H&R 45Colt/410 with the 3" shells but haven't yet had a chance to try out the .45 Colt loads.  The un-rifled "throat" of the chamber is long and oversized for the bullet anyway up to the start of the rifling so all efficiency and accuracy  theory are against you from the start but sometimes surprises and contradiction to convention do happen.  But unless you reload your 45 Colts I think you may have to accept less accuracy than you might like.   

But I do think that a lot of folks (present company excepted, of course) are prone to making blanket statements on woeful performance based primarily on theory and sometimes without any trials at all.   If you decide to try some standard 45 Colt factory loads if any or made with jackets, I'd start there.  If you reload, some heavy jacketed bullets at about 900 fps would be worth a try, I think.  I don't think I've seen a posting/thread/link here that demonstrated a diversity of attempts at shooting the 45 Colt in this firearm.  If you cast, you might want to give a slow, heavy, gaschecked SWC, cast from a kinda soft alloy, a try out.

I ordered mine drilled and tapped from the factory folks about a year ago when I sent a receiver in for fitting to that barrel and they seem to have done a good job.  My health got bad about the time I got it back and haven't done as much with it as I'd like to have done.  Any findings you get from shooting yours would be valuable for anyone shooting this firearm, I think.
 ;)
stuffit
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased

Offline moose

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 03:09:38 PM »
thanks for the info. have not found any 45 LC locally,the wally world and a couple gun shops are sold out, did find some 45lc cowboys loads  ::) :obut did not buy them

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 02:18:54 AM »
moose  if yu do any reloading instead of buyin that 1st  box of 45lc for i bet in the 30 dollar range spend the 30 on 45lc dies, yu can relaod them alot cheaper then buy them,  yu will still have 12-15cents apiece in them  but betterthen 30+ for 50 plus yu can up or down load to where you want them to be