Author Topic: Happy Australia Day!!! Jan. 26  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Happy Australia Day!!! Jan. 26
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:45:47 AM »
To all the Aussies: Happy Aussie Day!! I'm not sure what Aussie Day is all about, but I hope you all are enjoying yourselves.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline kombi1976

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Happy Australia Day!!! Jan. 26
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »
Thanks Skunk.
Basically it's the day the Captain James Cook (the same dude who was killed in Hawaii) of the ship HMS Endeavour walked ashore in 1770.
So the beginning of European rule.
Many of the Aboriginal people call it "Invasion Day", which I can understand, but that's the crux of it.
8)

Cheers & God Bless

.22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 NE 3"

Offline Jacko

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:42:42 PM »
Thanks for the thought skunk . Yesterday my family and I , some of my good mates and there families went to a picnic area called "The Gantry" in Mt Mee Forest Park . Arrived about 7.30 am , fired up the BBQ and cooked up snags, lamb chops bacon , eggs , mushrooms , tomatos , pancakes smothered in Brushbox Honey and what would Australia day be without a Damper . It poured rain just as I flipped the first of the pancakes - we stood there wet as shags for the next couple of hours , the kids chased off a few pretty faced wallabies and whinged a bit so they where happy as well - had a good morning .

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, "You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."

Charles Darwin

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:46:00 AM »
I tip my hats to you guys, a lot of respect for the Australian hunter, firefighter, and warrior. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:40:47 AM »
Thanks for the insight guys. Sounds like it's basically the same thing as our Columbus Day.

OK Jacko, what are snags? Everything else sounded delicious, but In the USA, a snag is something that usually comes out of the nose. :D I seriously blew it on the UTE on a previous thread, so I'm not taking any chances here. ;)

Also +1 to Siskiyou's post above.
Mike

Offline Jacko

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 10:37:23 AM »
Snags a sausage .
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, "You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."

Charles Darwin

Offline Skunk

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 03:40:44 AM »
Thanks Jacko, I figured a snag would end up being something good like a sausage.
Mike

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 06:00:35 AM »
No wonder those fire fighters from down under were confused on the forest fire in Montana when they were told to avoid the Snag Patch.  They must have thought we were talking about the sausage and scrambled eggs at breakfast.  Actually we were talking about the dangers of fighting fire in dead timber. :D
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.