Author Topic: Recommendation needed for good Red Dot or Holgraphic sights  (Read 390 times)

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Recommendation needed for good Red Dot or Holgraphic sights
« on: April 19, 2009, 06:48:04 AM »
I have a discontinued Redfield that is awesome and a cheap Tasco that can't be seen on the highest setting on a sunny day. What have others had success with?

Offline Arier Blut

• Contributor
Re: Recommendation needed for good Red Dot or Holgraphic sights
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:54:17 PM »
An aimpoint has served me near 15 years on many setups. My other is a vortex strikefire. They are new so I can't really give you a long term test but I like it. Both have held up to recoil and are very bright when needed.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:58:08 AM »
The Bushnell Trophy (two models ranging from $100 to $120) have served me very well but I think the multi-recticals are more of a gimmick as I prefer the 3moa dot. I do like the ability to change the color to green in the dawn and dusk conditions and the red works great in the bright light at a setting that is under max on the reostat. Mine is mounted on a .44mag and is very accurate and holds poa.
Complaints are that the poa will change with a recticle change making it necessary to re-sight. Chances are excellent though that you will prefer one of the four recticle choices and will leave it alone for hunting.

Next up would be the Ultra-dot. You have to shop around but can usually find the Ultra-dot for around $135 while an Ultra-dot four dot can be around $185.
I just dont hear any bad reviews on the Ultra dots and they recieve a lot more reviews than the Bushnell Trophy. The Ultra dot has a 30mm tube verse a 28mm tube for the Bushnell model.

The aimpoint would be the next up on the list. They are over $200 but you just don't hear anything bad about them.

I do like the red dot technology and am in the market for a Holo or reflective sight. This is because the ability to see around and through these is very good. There are models that range from $60 on up but I would not mess around and would choose one like the Burris fast fire. The advantage of these would be to make a quicker sight aquisition as said but you may not necessarly need it if you are versed in looking at your target with the eye and then shouldering an arm with a scope of any type with the target being right there. The only phobia that I would have on a holo would be to catch the delicate looking lens & frame on a sapling or such and snapping it off!...That is probably all it is though, a phobia.

Offline v-man

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:17:40 AM »
Your "phobia" sounds reasonable though. they do look fragile. I have a cheap one called Osprey and so far it works great on an AR carry handle. My Tasco Pro Point can't be seen at all on a sunny day. I sent it back explaining the problem and they "fixed" it. Whether it's the same one or a replacement it still won't work. Thanks for the feedback.