Author Topic: Planning first Family Trip out West - need help  (Read 752 times)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Planning first Family Trip out West - need help
« on: January 02, 2009, 05:47:34 AM »
We are beginning to plan a trip out west to accomplish a few things. 1 - visit the Grand Canyon, 2 - visit friends in Colorado Springs, and do a Pronghorn hunt. Probably will try to do this late August of 2010. Any suggestions folks have on what I need to consider for this are appreciated. Would do a two week trip, probably last two weeks in August, before kids go back to school. My older son will be 14 and I want both of us to hunt.

I need to do some research to see if it makes sense to go to the GC at that time of year (too hot?), but specific to the pronghorn hunt:

- hunt in Northern NM, Colorado, or make the trip further north to Wyoming where I think chances are better (?). Can you even hunt them in Wyoming in August? I think you can  in Colorado or New Mexico?
- from what I have seen, outfitters in New Mexico charge more but the season is in late August, which works for us
- is there any realistic opportunity for non-residents in CO?

I probably will have lots more questions, but right now I am just trying to think about the basic framework for a trip (eg. What will work?). Then I figure I'll focus on the details of outfitters, etc.

Thanks for any and all help!

NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline hogrdr

• Avid Poster
Re: Planning first Family Trip out West - need help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »
The only info I can offer is to Wyoming Antelope hunt in August is out of question unless you muzzle loader or archery. September is the month and don't waste money on outfitter HELEN KELLER could find antelpoe in unit #93 in fact true of most of the state there like flies on a dead carcuss. 5 of us went 2 years ago never hunting the state before. We just ride through there on motorcycles headed to So. Dakota all 5 had killed our antelope by 10:00 am. smallest one 15" but you need to apply by March 15th.

Link for Non Res Info packet  http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/09AppBooklet/09NRALL.pdf

Tentative dates  http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/09appbooklet/09NR27.pdf

Map  http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/09appbooklet/09NR26.pdf

Good Luck Hog

Offline 44-40

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:17:12 AM »
Rifle season in wyoming starts oct 1 and runs 2 weeks,I think mule deer season is the same for this area but I think they cut it back to one week because of cwd, most of the big horns come from the red desert in so.west part of the state 16"+, charging a treaspass fee for big game here is very common so I stay away from private property. I would not hire an outfitter unless you need pampered. non-residents need to have your paperwork in by feb for the drawing that takes place in late june or early july . Thunder basin ntl grass lands( national forrest ) runs from Wright 80 miles south to Douglas, you can order a national grass lands map from the forrest sevice in Douglas. We had a wedding to go to in San Diego last July and did both rims of the canyon on the way back, it was so hot the tar was coming out of the asphalt on the foot pathes. From the north rim headed west you run right into Bryce cannon Utah( another $20) did see some bighorn sheep at close range

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 02:00:40 PM »
Thanks for the info. I think I will need to hunt New Mexico so  can hunt in August and avoid taking the kids out of school
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)