Author Topic: Pros and Cons of joining the NRA  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Pros and Cons of joining the NRA
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 09:24:26 AM »
Save some $$$ - join or renew now......  only $25/yr

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?CampaignID=XP020622
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 10:39:58 AM »
Brett;
  That is a sterling idea! If you know a vet that is a hunter/shooter/gun owner and he/she is not rich ..buy them a membership.
  As far as the NRA not running direct ads against the gun-grabbers..they have to get the most-bang-for-the-buck. With just the name NRA, people already know what the ad is going to say  and "turn off". They cannot run commercials after a certain date..(last 3 months before election, I believe). perhaps they are training others or helping others to make up effective ads or whatever. Their most important message is to keep the gun owning public informed..
  Even then, from this forum you can see that some will be stubborn enough to cut their own throat and vote for the gun-grabbers!
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »
Why are they not allowed and everybody and their brother can advertise fgor the antigunners. >:(
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »
The NRA spent millions and millions against the Obama campaign.  The campaign even asked some of the media to pull the NRA ads.

http://www.newsmax.com/politics/Obama_Wants_NRA_Ads_Ban/2008/09/27/135118.html

Campaigns focus on areas and states that will get them the most "bang for the buck" and the most strategic advantages for electoral votes.  That's why a lot of people don't see these things or don't get the attention.  Not that I like it, but that's the way the system works.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 03:14:59 PM »
Brett;
  That is a sterling idea! If you know a vet that is a hunter/shooter/gun owner and he/she is not rich ..buy them a membership.

Thanks Ironglow.  My boss is next when I have the extra scratch.  He is a hunter and a Gulf War Veteran.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 04:56:21 AM »
I don't believe anyone mentioned the "easy pay" life membership plan. It's $25 per quarter for 7.5 years. That's the way I became a life member, and it was financially painless. I find being an NRA member to be a worthwhile membership with no real drawbacks. Some have criticised it for constantly begging for money. As far as I know, you can't join any organization without that happening. With the NRA you at least get something for the money you have spent.

I just copied this from the NRA FAQ website:

Q: I would like to become a Life Member of the NRA. Are there any payment plans available?
A: To fit the needs of most members, we offer the Easy Pay Life plan. Under this plan, members make minimum quarterly payments of $25.00 until the full amount of $750.00 is paid. If you would like to get started or would like some more information, please contact NRA Life Member Services at 800-672-3888.
Safety first

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 02:49:21 AM »
You speak of fighting the anti's.
EVERYONE knew this would be the most important election we would see in our lifetimes. The first place to start in the fight against the anti's is in the voting booth. I did not see ONE ad on TV from the NRA. Do they just wait until the fight gets into the courtroom so they can show a win? With an annual income of 140 million I don't think giving veterans a lifetime membership to American Rifleman and a patch is going to break them. I didn't mean to single anyone out or upset anyone this is something I've been wondering about for a while now. I don't want this to turn into a pissing match like some of the other threads have become.

I believe that the NRA's hands were tied by recent laws forbidding them to stump for or against any polititian or political party in the national media.   Besides the national media is owned by the leftist,  do you think that they would give the NRA any time at any price?

Re: the 140 million annual income.  Do you realize how costly it is to take just one legal battle to court?  The NRA is fighting dozens upon dozens of them, both on a national level and local level throughout the year.   

I believe you are right about the law that ptevents the NRA or any other organization like them from doing this. If I remember correctly ( I could add forgetful to my user name) Senators McCain and Feingold dreamed this law up.