Author Topic: Deer Quest Scent Sticks, anyone use them?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
Deer Quest Scent Sticks, anyone use them?
« on: December 10, 2002, 03:04:32 PM »
Has anyone on the Board use these things before? I have used them off and on over the past few years and the findings to me seem inconclusive. I have made the scent bucket and used the scent sticks. I have had deer come in the area of my stand when using them as well as not using them. I also had seen nothing in a very productive area.

I would like to know your luck with these things.

Offline Tony D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Scent Sticks
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 08:40:14 AM »
I've basically had the same experience, although I've only used them about 6 or 7 times.  I think I may use the remaining ones I have and give up on them.  Don't think they've made enough difference.  If anyone else has had a positive experience with them, I'd sure like to hear about it!
Tony D ><>

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Deer Quest Scent Sticks, anyone use them?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2002, 07:08:54 AM »
I think a buck may be attracted to scent during the rut, but otherwise I think they are worthles.  I do use scent to cover my smell, skunk, red fox, etc.  If you are in an area where you can feed, apples work very well to lure them into an area.  Another thing I have found to work well is cinnmon rolls.  I buy day old stuff and spread it out several times, afterwards I just carry a medimum size container of cinnmon and sprinkle it around the area I,m hunting.  If they have been on the rolls, they come.

Before anyone jumps in my case, I live in Texas where it is legal to feed.  I feed year round, mixing corn and Purina Deer Pellets.  This may seem like baiting to some, and it is to an extent, but the prime reason I feed is to compeensate for the absence of suitable food plots due to the seven year drought.  It's primarly to help them survive.  It also helps anthler growth, and helps the does produce health fawns.   Most of the farmers and ranchers in my arer feed as a game management tool.