Author Topic: youth season  (Read 513 times)

Offline jingle

• Trade Count: (0)
youth season
« on: January 22, 2009, 06:50:48 AM »
Hello,

I'm from MI's upper peninsula. My family is planning a short trip down to your area this fall for the youth firearm season. I guess Ohio has a much higher opinion of their youth than our illustrious leaders do of ours. My kids have been bowhunting hard since 10 with no luck so far. They are definitely ready to gun hunt. They will be 11 and 12 this fall. 12 is the cutoff here so my 11 yr. old boy is still out of luck. Thus our trip south. We are trying to plan our vacation time and the season dates are not set yet. I've called the department and everybody I've talked with is pretty non-commital. It seems to me your gun season is related to Thanksgiving. Always starts the Monday after, and the youth season is the prior weekend. Is this the pattern? If so...then the 09 youth gun season would be Nov 21,22. Do I have this figured correct?

Thanks, by the way, for the cheap youth deer hunting. It makes the trip possible for us. We are really excited. Michigan does the same thing and we have tons of public land. Our youth season is in late September. But...kids must be 12 to gun hunt on private land and 14 to hunt on public land. This is silly, but rules is rules. Thats why we are travelling south. Up until three years ago gun hunting was 14, period! Thanks for the help and God Bless!

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
Re: youth season
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:20:06 PM »
Jingle,
Your pattern sounds about right. I think you kids have to take the Hunter Education Course also to get Tags and Licenses. The laws state that ALL first time licenes buyers, except apprentice license buyers must successfully complete an education course. Hope this helps.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: youth season
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 02:54:56 PM »
Jingle, Not sure where I`ll stand on room come next fall as I`m not sure how many of my grand children will be hunting next fall, but may be able to find a spot for you. Not a real good chance at a record buck, but smaller bucks and doe aren`t to hard to get. Drop me a pm twords the end of summer it your wanting to come down. I`m about 35 mi. North of Dayton.