Author Topic: Coehorn mortar and perfect Dahlgren cannon models  (Read 923 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Coehorn mortar and perfect Dahlgren cannon models
« on: January 23, 2009, 05:21:43 AM »
Here are some pix I took in the USNA museum back in March 1986.  I took dig. pix of my color prints.

The mortar is about a foot long and as I recall, 4.5-inch bore. 

The dimensions on the 20 pounder rifle on "boat" pivot carriage are:  Barrel length 11 in., Bore 3/4 in., Marked on top:  an anchor/Dahlgren  At breech:  U.S.N.Y. Washington 1200 lbs., 142 pre. N.1.  Left trunnion:  P/G.B., Right trunnion:  20 pdr./1866

The wheeled model is that of a "small" Dahlgren boat howitzer.  Model's dimsnsions are approx. 6/5-inch long barrel, bore 3/4 in. bore, 5.75 in. dia. wheels.  It is fully marked as a large cannon.  Among the tiny markings are:  Top of barrel:  anchor/12 pdr./Boat Howitzer/1865/G.B.  At breech:  U.S.N.Y. Washington 300 lbs. 24 pre N.1.   The models were made at the Washington Navy Yard in the years marked on them, and sent USNA as a teaching aid. 

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Coehorn mortar and perfect Dahlgren cannon models
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:14:13 AM »
Nice little models! I really liked the 11" Dahlgren 20 pounder on the boat swivel slide. Very detailed for it's size. Jim
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!