Author Topic: To Decoy, or Not to Decoy?  (Read 526 times)

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
To Decoy, or Not to Decoy?
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:41:39 AM »
Vary limited experience for predator hunting here in Ohio.  I am considering getting two things to help with my success rate; Electronic caller and decoy.  First, the decoy.  Do I need one?  Will it really help?  From watching videos, I have come to believe that it could be a great help in the thick stuff in the southeastern Ohio hills.  Second, I am torn on the use of an electronic caller.  I think it could be a great help, but I don't have five hundred dollars to waist on a Foxpro that may or may not help.  I have lots of mouth calls and have been practicing with them extensively.  I have even called a couple in, but no hides to show for my efforts just yet.  So, Decoy necessary?  Caller necessary? I am counting on my Ohio hunting buddies to help me out. 

PLEASE Reply to help me out

buckshooter (becoming "coyoteshooter" :) 

"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
Re: To Decoy, or Not to Decoy?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 04:07:29 AM »
Buckshooter,
A decoy will help! It gives them something to, want to come and get. As far as a Foxpro I hunt with friends that have them and they are Nice. Do you need one, Well No you don't.  If your doing good with your hand calls why change. Just remember not to call the same places over and over again and expect to see them every time. Change stuff Up use a diff. sound in a diff place. Watch your wind and you'll do Fine. 
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Re: To Decoy, or Not to Decoy?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:03:55 AM »
If your other calls do fine why spend the $$? I have the johnny stewart preymaster 4 and love it but I head to PA for coyote, I dont have any land to hunt on in Ohio but would like to find some so I can use a semiauto.

I tried that quiver critter last week and whole no yotes appeared, 2 red tailed hawks came down within 15ft of it and must have realized something was amiss lol. They are good for taking the attention off you if you need to pivot to get a shot. If a yote sees it and locks on, that only helps us and thats good  ;D