Author Topic: DPMS AR 15 good?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
DPMS AR 15 good?
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:36:24 PM »
  I just put a Hesse AR15 out on consignment because I was never happy with it.  There is a DPMS with a 16" bull barrel there for a couple hundred more than I'm asking for mine.  I could put $50 down and they will hold it pending the sale of mine.  Is the DPMS a step up, down or sideways from the Hesse?  The Hesse is known as a second rate AR, and mine always had bugs.  It was not a constant problem, but it was what it was.  Is the DPMS a quality rifle?  Thanks.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: DMS AR 15 good?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »
Around here you can usually pick them up new for $600-$750 depending on how they are set up. They are the cheapest I've seen setting on the racks around here. When I was asking about them some while back some folks seem to think them quite good and others felt they were junk. Makes me think quality is a some times thing but then I dunno. I didn't get one of them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline STexhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: DMS AR 15 good?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 01:42:03 AM »
Have two, one 16" and one in 20", both bull barrels.  The 20" has a RRA lower with NM 2 stage trigger and its great.  The 16" has a Stag lower with a lousy trigger.  Both have DPMS uppers.  The 20" will shoot 1 MOA and less with cheap ammo and the 16" will shoot 1" - 1.25" groups at 100 yds.  No problems with either.  While both are a little heavy, I love mine.  You will find that the 16" barrels are loud.  So far I'm really happy with mine. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: DPMS AR 15 good?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 04:23:15 AM »
they may not be top of the line but there a good serviceable gun.
blue lives matter

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:41:43 AM »
Both of mine (16"AP4 & 16" Heavy) shoot great, with no malfunctions. Now like I said on another post, I haven't put 3000 rounds through them in 2 days, but I have put 2000 rounds through the AP-4 and 500 through the Heavy,total, with no malfunctions. Keep em clean and keep em lubed, they will work fine.

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
DPMS makes good quality AR 15's.  It's the Hesse AR's that are junk.  Hesse has since changed their name to "Vulcan Arms"  but continue to make very low quality AR's. 

Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 12:15:47 PM »
I think the DPMS is a good brand, just not as costly as a lot of the others.  DPMS offers a lot of options and I'm happy with the one I have.

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 01:35:34 PM »
Other great quality,  moderate priced AR's you might want to check out include:  STAG ARMS,  ROCK RIVER,  ARMALITE,  SMITH & WESSON,  & OLYMPIC. 
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 03:49:57 PM »
I own one and am happy with it. It's had about 1k rounds thru it. I don't use it for much other than plinking or range use. My only problem was ammo related, Wolf poly coated cases getting stuck in a very hot chamber. I really don't know what is expected from an AR but this one has satisfied me so far.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline xr650rRider

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 06:18:01 AM »
DPMS is supposed to make all of the R-25's sold under the Remington name, so if you like the Remington, you'll like the DPMS.  I have a 20" varmint DPMS upper on a RRA lower and fit and function is great.