Author Topic: Barrel swapping  (Read 1053 times)

Offline bry

• Trade Count: (0)
Barrel swapping
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »
It seems as though a number of you are changing out or reconfiguring your huntsmans on a fairly regular basis. I was under the impression that you need to have a different barrel fitted to the frame in order to use it. Is this the case or can barrels simply be swapped out as long as you are using the correct reciever? The reason I'm asking is that my 2002 Huntsman's barrel is starting to show some corrosion and I'm thinking about getting a spare. If I don't need to send the reciever in that would be one more reason to go ahead a buy an extra. Thanks in advance.   

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Barrel swapping
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
Hi,

Below is an introduction to barrel swapping/fitting, their is more info. in the FAQs sticky thread.

BB

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,82412.msg504758.html#msg504758
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 06:06:51 AM »
bry,
If your lucky like me, and have more than a few receivers, you can probably get by swapping barrels without ever having to do a fitting job.  If a barrel doesn't fit a certain receiver, I just switch it to another, usually, after swapping between two receivers, I find one that fits.

"The reason I'm asking is that my2002 Huntsman's barrel is starting to show some corrosion and I'm thinking about getting a spare. If I don't need to send the reciever in that would be one more reason to go ahead a buy an extra." What happened here? That question isn't a criticism.

By all means go ahead and buy that extra Huntsman barrel for use as a spare.  I honestly think that you could clean up the "corrosion" by a good cleaning with boiling hot soapy water. I helped an older friend with a Sidekick that he purchased used, and when he got it, the gun was a mess.  Spent a lot of time trying to clean it with traditional BP cleaners.  It cleaned most of the gunk out, but it still looked like the barrel had pitting/corrosion in the barrel.  Finally we used hot soapy water, and gave it a good scrubbing, then rinsed it off with clean boiling water.  Dried it off and left it to air dry.  The barrel came out spotless, and the "pitting/corrosion" was gone.  Remember, it has to be boiling water, not hot water from the tap.  That water isn't hot enough.  Wear gloves on the hand that is holding the barrel, as the heat transferred from the boiling water to the barrel can be quite uncomfortable.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline bry

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »
 Thanks guys
bikerbeans; Good info in the link,but not something I'd try myself.
OSR; Not sure what happened. After the 2010 season I cleaned and put up the gun as always. Then early last fall my Brother-in-law showed me how both his and my Father-in-laws "Bone Collectors" had rusted up last summer. Sure enough when I checked my Huntsman had started as well. Since I bought it new in '04 I've only used loose pyrodex and cleaned with T/C cleaning products without issue. We did have a very wet summer here last year, but none of my other firearms had any problems. I'll try pulling the scope and using soap and boiling water, my cousin has cleaned his Hawken that way for a couple decades. Some of the crud did clean out and the gun still shot the same, I'm just not sure if it will keep getting worse. I could replace it with any of the latest and greatest, but doubt I'd find anything that will shoot any better. Besides, this gun has been very good to me so I intend to keep using it.     

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »
Thanks guys
bikerbeans; Good info in the link,but not something I'd try myself.
OSR; Not sure what happened. After the 2010 season I cleaned and put up the gun as always. Then early last fall my Brother-in-law showed me how both his and my Father-in-laws "Bone Collectors" had rusted up last summer. Sure enough when I checked my Huntsman had started as well. Since I bought it new in '04 I've only used loose pyrodex and cleaned with T/C cleaning products without issue. We did have a very wet summer here last year, but none of my other firearms had any problems. I'll try pulling the scope and using soap and boiling water, my cousin has cleaned his Hawken that way for a couple decades. Some of the crud did clean out and the gun still shot the same, I'm just not sure if it will keep getting worse. I could replace it with any of the latest and greatest, but doubt I'd find anything that will shoot any better. Besides, this gun has been very good to me so I intend to keep using it.     
Did you use T/C bore butter? 
I don't want to turn this into a T/C cleaning products bashing thread, but you can ask around about "T/C bore butter".
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline bry

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:17:56 PM »
How'd you guess?  But not this year, I blasted inside with Rem Oil and followed that with a wet patch of BreakFree CLP. Any suggestions for after it gets scalded and scrubbed?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »
I suggest you not use any petroleum based product to clean any ML, just hot  soapy water or even plain hot water for the newer BP substitutes. I have done it for years and my ML's are nice and clean, inside and out. After cleaning with hot (boiling) water and just a little Dove dish detergent  the gun gets air dried in front of the fireplace and a wipe down with 1,000 and 1 natural lube, metal and wood as well. It works better than anything else I have ever tried. Years ago I had a friend that got into ML hunting after I took him to the range and he shot mine. He got a nice TC White Mountain Carbine and after shooting it for the first time he cleaned it and put it away w/o asking anyone about it. I did ask him if he cleaned it right, with hot water and soap and he said he knew how to clean guns and that he had been shooting for years. It seems he used Hoppes and gun oil with a brass brush and patches, then oiled the barrel and stored it for the year. The next season the bore was so corroded it was tough getting a patched ball all the way down. All he did was cover the corrosive particulants with oil. He sold the gun and bought another, a SS inline. He will not admit he did wrong, he says the gun was bad, but he uses soapy hot water now....<><.... ::)     
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley