Author Topic: Where does a Meade Weaver Scope rate?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Where does a Meade Weaver Scope rate?
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:00:49 PM »
What is the status of Weaver Scopes?

I have a couple of Weaver Scopes from when Weaver was Weaver but it has changed hands two or three times after it was first sold.  I purchased two Weaver Classic V scopes that were made in Japan.  They have held up over the years.

The Weaver name now belongs to ATK.

Has anybody recently returned a scope under warranty to Weaver, which was manufactured under the Meade ownership?  If so what was your experience with the Meade manufactured Weaver scopes..
http://www.weaveroptics.com/
http://www.weaveroptics.com/weaveroptics/Support/warranty.html

I am currently in the market looking for a serviceable scope to install on a Marlin 336.  I would prefer a variable powered cope with a 32-38MM Objective.  I want a low profile scope. 

Last week I was in a shop that has a couple of Weaver V9 scopes that fit my criteria and most likely were made under the Meade ownership.  Did they screw up the product?

Scopes I am currently considering.

Bushnell Elite 3200 in 2-7x32MM price delivered around $180.00
Burris FFII in 2-7x35MM                     $180.00
Weaver V9 $150.00+tx                     $165.00

From a price point the Weaver is out ahead.  If the product is defective I rather doubt the store’s returning policy will be very liberal.  If there is a problem it would be up to me to return the Meade made scope to Weaver who is now ATK owned.

In my eyes the Bushnell Warranty service is difficult to beat.
Burris warranty is an unknown to me.

The other day I held a Browning 2-7x32MM made by Bushnell to 3200 Elite specifications in one hand and the Weaver V9 in the other hand.  In comparing those two scopes I think the Weaver came out on top.  Both were set at the lowest power setting.  The Weaver has fully multi-coated lens, while the Elite has multicoated lens with Rainguard.

Does anybody have information at what yardage the parallax is set at one the Elite 2-7 and the Burris 2-7?

I looked up Meade Optical and it sounds like they are out of the scope business.  They have been losing money, and they have been selling off brands.

Application:  Marlin 336, in 30-30 Winchester.  Sighted in 2” high at 100-yards. With a Point Blank range a little over 200-yards.  Historically this rifle has been a heavy cover, nasty weather rifle where game is normally encountered at close range.  This is not a go-to rifle. it spends most of its time at home.  Rifle currently has a 35-yearold 4-power Banner on it.  Objective is to install a fog free, variable profile scope, while maintaining a low profile.  Cost is a factor.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Where does a Meade Weaver Scope rate?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »
I've got 3 of the K-2.5s that have no problems except for one of the name plates coming off the side of the scope.  It was glued on and got lost.  I have also bought several of the newer Simmons that have good glass and have worked well for me.  Natchez Shooter supply has several on sale now at great prices as well as good prices on Weaver scopes.  They were also part of the Meade group.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:40:41 AM »
On January 10, 2009 I e-mailed the new Weaver asking if they would honor the warranty on the Meade Weaver Scopes.  As of this date I have not received a response.

I ordered the Burris 2-7X35MM FFII.  UPS delivered yesterday afternoon.  I paid $159.95 for it.  I am running some general comparison test at this time.  I am comparing it against an original El Paso Weaver V7 what I purchased around 1970.  The Weaver has seen a lot of use in the last 37+ years. 

If nothing changes my plans I hope to take the El Paso V7 and the new Burris FFII out on the back deck this evening and look at deer.  The purpose is to see if the Burris is better, the same as, or below the value of the Weaver in post sunset conditions.  In our area shooting closes down one-half hour after sunset.  This is a critical time, because deer start showing.  I did not have the Weaver out yesterday evening, but the Burris gave me very good shooting light. 

I look at the Meade Weaver Classic V9 for a few minutes in a store.  Because of the short time involved and looking at a wall 20-feet away I think the Meade Weaver Classic V9 is better.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 01:11:12 AM »
 I have a few Burris 2-7 FF scopes that I am content with.
NRA, Veteran

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 04:07:23 AM »
I was wondering about the weaver classic extreme rifle scopes.  They typically sell for anywhere from $500 to $800.  Natchez Shooting Supply has got a sale on them for $279 right now.  Just wondering how they rate against Nikon Monarch, Leupold VXIII, and Bushnell Elite 4200.

Offline TBS

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 04:44:36 AM »
Even though the Weaver line has changed hands and now belongs to ATK, the scopes have been built at Light optical works in Japan all along. Meade was nothing more than a distributor for line of scopes developed before they got there hands on them. I have a couple Blount weaver grand slams which shows they were developed way before Meade. Nothing new was developed under the Meade banner.

ATK is moving forward big time with the weaver brand with a whole bunch of new models for 2009.  I would imagine they will honor the warranty since the scopes in question have not changed since the days of Blount owership.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »
We now have 5 of the Weaver V3 scopes. Our scopes are the Classic Series and are 1-3power x20mm. The turret of the scope has the white lettered "Weaver" on the side. These scopes had about 4" of eye relief and I can't begin to say how much I like these scopes.

The newer V3 versions are listed as having 3.15" of eye relief and are listed as being Asian made. The ones I have were made by LOW (Light Optical Works) and appear to me to be somewhat different than the newer versions.

As for V9, I did once own a V10 and this was a great optic as well. This was a LOW scope as well.

For your application, the V3 would work well in my opinion.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 04:28:05 PM »
carbineman:  I ended up buying the FFII 2-7.  A disappointing feature is the oversize power adjustment ring.  To clear the base mount and hammer I ended up using high rings.  In the past I was able to use low rings with the fixed 4x scope and older Weaver 2.5x7.  Unfortunately when purchasing the scope on the net I did not pickup on the oversize power ring.

I have not had my hands on a Weaver 1x3, did they keep the power adjustment ring small enough that the scope could be mounted with low rings?

Typically I hunt with my scope in the lowest power setting.  And that is normally the setting when I take my deer.  A few years ago I cranked a scope up to 10X to take a buck.  Those crosshairs bounced all over the place at that high magnification.  Fortunately I pulled the trigger at the right time.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 05:32:05 PM »
carbineman:  I ended up buying the FFII 2-7.  A disappointing feature is the oversize power adjustment ring.  To clear the base mount and hammer I ended up using high rings. I had this same problem with a Bushnell Banner. In the past I was able to use low rings with the fixed 4x scope and older Weaver 2.5x7.  Unfortunately when purchasing the scope on the net I did not pickup on the oversize power ring.

I have not had my hands on a Weaver 1x3, did they keep the power adjustment ring small enough that the scope could be mounted with low rings? Well it seems that everyones rings are a somewhat different height. I have used Tasco, Bsqaure, Simmons, and Burris zees. I keep medium and high rings here as they seem to fit my Toppers and Handis and Trackers. The scoped H&R and NEF's that I now set up are wearing a different scope rail a that is about 1/2 the height of the standard H&R rail and this changes the equation as well. I just go by cheek weld postion and by eye when shouldering my firearms now. I currently don't own a Marlin but the little Weavers did work well on the ones I did scope for others. The power ring is about the same approxiamate size as the 20mm Leupolds.

Typically I hunt with my scope in the lowest power setting.  And that is normally the setting when I take my deer.  A few years ago I cranked a scope up to 10X to take a buck.  Those crosshairs bounced all over the place at that high magnification.  Fortunately I pulled the trigger at the right time.
I like the one power setting on the Weavers as this is a good setting for hunting in falling snow. The 3 power gives you a little extra to make the longer shots.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 06:55:36 AM »
I ran into the fact there is not a consistency between brands when it comes to ring height.  I have a few sets of new and old rings stuck away.  I selected a new set of high rings that appeared about the same height as another brand medium rings.

Not having fighter pilot vision, I like to have some magnification in a scope, but as I wrote before I carry it set at the lowest power setting.  I want the wide field of view up close.

Thanks for the information