Author Topic: Optima Elite Head space  (Read 794 times)

Offline utelkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Optima Elite Head space
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:33:09 AM »
I have an Optima Elite chambered in 223 and 30-06. When I first got the rifle and went to the range I checked the brass after firing and there was a ring around the case head what appeared to be case head separation. I put head space gauges in both the 223 and 30-06 and they took a Field gauge. I contacted CVA and they instructed me to send the frame and both barrels back for a warranty repair. They replaced both barrels for throat problems and stated that they were both in spec for head spacing. (I know that they did replace both barrels because the 223 barrel I sent had iron sights the one I got back did not.) 
I went to the range Yesterday to sight in the rifle both barrels are still leaving the ring on the brass. however the rifle is amazingly accurate. So I was wondering if they chambered these rifles on the longer side of spec to accept all different types of ammo. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue and if so do you reload and have you had any problems with case head separation? I am wondering if this is the norm for these rifles or do I need to send the barrels back a second time?

Offline utelkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Optima Elite Head space
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »
In reading on the forums I have seen that Mark at BPI is the guy to contact. So I decided to email my question to him. I got a quick response and I will say thanks to customer service like his I will continue to buy CVA products. I thought I would share his response for those of you who are interested.

Thanks for writing in about your concerns. 

The ring is quite normal in all kinds of rifles.  The specs on the chamber diameter is different than the specs on the case diameter.  In other words, the minimum chamber must accommodate the maximum cartridge.  The ring is where the brass thickens up at the “web” of the case.  The case does not expand much or at all in this area so the thinner front part swells a little and shows this ring.  You will see it in bolt action rifles and semi autos as well.

Headspace in these rifles has caused a lot of concern because the rifle absolutely will close on the no-go gauge.  Go back and try this again.  With no gage or cartridge in the closed gun check the position of the breeching lever alongside the trigger guard.  Put a GO gage into the chamber and close it again.  The lever will likely be in the same exact place.  Now try the No-Go gage and check the lever.  It should have moved a good bit to the rear.  If it has it means that the barrel has not closed fully into the locked position because the gage in interfering with the barrel pivoting fully into the breach.  On some guns the hammer will not even cock with a no-go in the chamber.  So, in short, Yes the gun will close on the gage but the lever will tell you if it is in full battery or not.

I hope this explains it for you.

Regards,

Mark