Author Topic: Powder question  (Read 331 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Powder question
« on: January 29, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »
 If Winchester 571 and Hogdon HS7 are both interchangeable. Can Blue Dot be used in its place? It falls right in between am I right?  If so can they all use the same Data?  I have a supply of all three but am running out of HS7 and Win. 571.
Zacharoo

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Powder question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 04:04:38 PM »
Its very dangerous to load from a burning rate chart.

Do yourelf a favor and buy your self an appropriate manual. There are also a couple good sites on line where data can be had.

Try www.handloads.com

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:12:13 PM »
I have 4 manuals and have lots of data it was just a question that came up. Really am low on these discontinued powders and have some good accurate loads with them. Was going to try starting low an go up if close enough. Am not an expert on reloading and some of the guys out there really know there stuff! Thanks for your input but i will not do anything crazy like go on my own.
Thanks for your help and concern.
Zacharoo

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:41:04 AM »
Good deal on the manuals.

Just no safe way around it, start at the starting load and move up. With pistol powder, I like to load 5 rounds and up .3Gr's until max. (W rifle I usually jump in .5Gr steps.) That way worst case I only have a few bullets to pull.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 01:47:19 AM »
If your manuals say you are in safe ranges for the Blue Dot then it sounds like you have come up with a very good way of attacking your problem. I think you will like the powder, I am using a lot of it lately for reduced loads in rifles and it's like I can't find a bad load. You do know about the receint factory warning about 357 loads I assume, I didn't pay much attention, I don't use it in the pistol, but it was pretty well disseminated.