Author Topic: local shop ratings  (Read 951 times)

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
local shop ratings
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:24:39 AM »
There are other shops around, within a reasonable distance, but these are the ones I've visited the most.

B&T with shops in Middleburg Hgts & Elyria/Lorain area.  Decent selection of handguns and shotguns, not a whole lot in the way of rifles.  Nice place to visit/browse but I wouldn't want to buy there.  Feel the prices are high on both firearms and reloading components.
The Gun Shop in Medina, little hole in the wall type shop that's again a nice place to visit.  Haven't bought anything there yet.
Fur, Fin & Feather in Ashland, is a large building with a WIDE assortment of clothing, fishing and reloading equipment.  Large selection of rifles and shotguns, handgun availability seems to be spotty.  I'll buy there as a last resort.
Sportsmens Den in Shelby, another large building with clothing, fishing and reloading equipment, but less of it than FFF.  I feel that the prices are more in line here.  Do wish that they carried more than one  brand of reloading equip., RCBS, though.  They get my $$ first of anyone local.

There are other shops around, what's your opinion of them, are they worth going to?
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Re: local shop ratings
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »
I have a few shops around here that I use , the Sportsman's Den in Lima and Kramer's in Celina both carry a decent inventory of both guns as well as reloading supplies , Kramer's also has an Indoor pistol range were you can rent diffrent handguns to try out ,BHS Guns in Ohio City doesn't stock much of an inventory but Bart is more than willing to order anything you may want .

I also have 2 very good gunsmith's within driving distance were I can order things from , Fred at Sharp Shooters Supply is a wizard with all things Savage , and Mark at Mark's Gun Service is just a good all around smith for rifles , handguns and shotguns .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Czech_too

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:31:09 PM »
Stimpy,
Thanks for the input.  I see where there are shop(s) in Wooster, Mount Vernon, Sugarcreek & Kidron among others and before I do a road trip, I'd like to get some idea whether their worth a visit.

Stopped into Stonewall in Brecksville earlier in the week.  They have an indoor range, as does FFF, and an assortment of handguns you can try.  Good assortment of handguns, very little in the way of rifles or shotguns though.  I felt that the prices were a bit high on the reloading components.  They have a LARGE selection of holsters.

Found a place in Broadview Heights(?) called Discount Reloading but there weren't any hours posted.  Have to give a call and find out when their open.  Has anyone dealt with them?

Brian
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 02:36:16 AM »
DO you guys know of any good places near the cleveland area. Ashtubula is like an hour and a half from me. Dont mind traveling. I just use the local Gander Mountian, But they can be on the expensive side.
****The Second Amendment.....You dont know you need it until they come and try to take it away****

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:39:52 AM »
what didnt you like about the FFF in ashland, ??? iam surprised i always have a good deal with them

Offline Czech_too

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:34:46 AM »
Keep in mind that what I 'feel' is subjective but I think that the prices are on the high side both on firearms and reloading components.
My neighbor and I went into another local shop yesterday.  By the time we walked out, he thought the owner was an 'expletive' while I thought something totally different.  I'll go back there again whereas he probably wont.  Subjective.
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 05:15:09 AM »
K4 is a shop near Hicksville... you have to want to go there. Nice shop, call first, good inventory. The owner is a great guy and good prices for a small place.

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 12:39:37 PM »
I like Miller Rod & Gun in Youngstown and East Ohio Shooters Supply in Lisbon.  Red's Sport Shop is also great for firearm accessories and ammo, but they don't have an FFL for firearms sales.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »
I deal with D&D shooting supplies and Guns! Dana is located In Southern Belmont County Near the Little town Of New Castle . It is between Beallsville and Barnsville.  He stocks Just about Every powder you can think of (If he can Get it) and has a Good choice of Bullets, Ammo, and Guns. He is also a Good Gun Smith and Does all Kinds Of Machine work. You will pay Top Price for his Guns , But if you ever have a Problem He will Fix It Or Make it Right. Great guy Great place. 
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html