Author Topic: Case prep  (Read 646 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Case prep
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »
Any thoughts on the condition of these 38 spl cases? the ring marks puzzle me on both brass and nickel. these are range pickups.
Do any of them look bulging near the bottom?

Until I gain more experience I will have lots of questions!

Thanks
Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Case prep
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:54:33 PM »
The cannulures on the top portion of cases 2 and 5 are of a type that was once commonly done to pistol ammo to provide a positive stop for the bullet bases.  Worked too, IF the bullet was actually seated to that point!  The rest of them are purely cosmetic, aka the "cool" factor.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
If you mean the area just above the rim and below the cannelures, it is the area that the sizing die does not resizetouch.  The cartridge case is thicker in that area and does not expand as much as the thinner area above it.  I have never had a problem with chambering, although I have experienced case separations at the top of this area in maximum-loaded .357 mag. cases that were resized too many times.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
So I can assume those cannelures are immaterial to my purpose in reloading the cases? And just proceed normally to reload them?
I thought the cases had thicker material at that point just above the rim too but was unsure why that occurred. Thanks for verification of it. do you think they are usable for light to moderate 38 spl loads?

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 10:27:53 PM »
The 4th one from the left, is that corrosion at the case mouth and above the first/upper cannelure?  Other than that, I'd say your good to go, I'd use em.

Brian, in Ohio
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:46:34 AM »
Brian- yes that one is already pitched. Thanks.
Joe

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 06:04:40 AM »
I agree with Czech_too .  I'd have no problem with loading those cases with any level loads except +P.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »
Thanks guys! This is what makes this forum invaluable for us new guys to learn from your experience.

Joe

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »
Kind of hard to tell from a picture, but they all look normal to me. What usually happens when 38s go bad is a little split at the case mouth running up and down the case. These aren't really dangerous, but they say that they destroy accuracy. This is the main thing I look for when I inspect my cases. Rarely a case will split lengthwise only a much longer split than the little nicks at the mouth. I suppose these could be considered dangerous, but they have never done any harm in my guns.

I have never seen a 38 case separate at the head like rifle cases can.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 11:25:14 AM »
Only thing I spotted in quick examination of the photo is the sizing marks on the left nickel brass.  Likely a dirty carbide insert in the die or lack of lube if using regular dies.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »
thanks Steve. Hard to say since those were all either purchased used or traded . I know the ones I resized came out OK with my carbide dies.

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 03:12:34 PM »
Current production WWB .44 magnums come with the ring. Usually by the time the brass has been sized and fired a coupla times it's gone.

Because of this, I'd tend to think that brass then is only once fired.

"where'd you get the gun....son?"