Author Topic: Binoculars....which is better?  (Read 710 times)

Offline Brasso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Binoculars....which is better?
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:10:43 AM »
I'm looking at the Bushnell Excursion 8x42 or the Bushnell Legend 8x42 (porros).      Is the Legend going to be significantly better optically than the Excursion?     There's only about a $50 difference in price.

Offline SteveC99

Re: Binoculars....which is better?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:12:18 PM »
The Legend is a better binocular than the Excursion.  The reason it is now less money is that it is on the way out.  Its replacement is called the Legend Ultra HD.  That is going to be about $270 or thereabouts.  From what I can tell, it looks more like an Excursion, has specs like the Excursion, but with better glass and a unique rubber armor.

Another couple of really good binoculars in that price range is the Vortex Diamondback and the Zen Ray ZRS.  Either of those also offer a lot of value for the money.  I personally have the ZRS.
Steve

"Do what you can where you are with what you have":  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Brasso

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 02:38:12 PM »
I was actually looking at the Legend (porros).     From what I understand, which isn't much, the porros bino's are much better optically than the sub $1000 roof prism bino's.   I think.    Since weight isn't an issue I was thinking the porros models would give me better bang for the buck.     I looked thru a pair of the Nikon 8x40 porros but I didn't like them too much.    Made me dizzy.    I think the Legends are supposed to be better.      I'll probably get the Excursions for "rough" use situations/hiking/hunting, but I want a good set for other stuff where I'lll mostly be sitting still.     

Any ideas?   Am I off base?   I don't have any hands on exp. with bino's so I really have no clue.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 02:56:58 PM »
Pentax used to make a darn good porro binoc.  I have much more expensive roof prism models but they are no better, just more compact.

Offline SteveC99

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 04:48:01 PM »
OK, assumptions can be wrong.  The Porro design produces a better image at a particular price level than a roof.  So your idea isn't far off.  The Legend porro will likely be better than the Excursion.  If I was looking for an inexpensive porro with good usable optics, I'd look in two ways.  First is the Leupold Yosemite.  These only cost about $100, and the optics are very good.  Next level up look to the Leupold Green Ring full size porro's.  The Cascade porro is discontinued, but still available.  The Mesa is still in the catalog, and there is the brand new Rogue.  Those have a really nice image.  They are a little more expensive than the Legend, and smaller if that is a concern.  But the Legend gets consistently good reviews,and it is a darned nice glass for the price, so yeah, personally I'd get the Legend if the Leupold didn't work for me.  I happen to prefer the image of the Leupolds, but the Legend has a wider field.
Steve

"Do what you can where you are with what you have":  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
I use and recommend the Legend roof prism model. I've picked up two high dollar binoculars since buying it and ended up selling both at a loss to keep the Legend cuz for me they are superior. Both the ones I dumped were in the over $1000 range and one I think was closer to $1400 list.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Brasso

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:33:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies.   

I went to Gander Mounain and tried out the Nikon ATB 8x42, 10x42, 10x50; Leupold Cascade 8x42, 10x42, 10x50.   I also tried the Leuppold 8x42 porros.     I liked the Leupold 10x42 roof the best, and was about to buy them when at the last minute I decided to look thru a pair of Steiner Merlin 10x42.    After looking thru the Steiners, the others were a dissapointment.   I bought the Steiners.    They are a little more, but the clarity was so much better that I couldn't go with the Leupolds at just $240 less.

Unfortunately they didn't carry the Bushnell Legends, so I couldn't compare them.

I do believe, though, that the Leupoolds are better than the Nikons.   At least they looked better to me.

Thanks again.  

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:46:04 PM »
I have Steiners also. As good as they are the Legend is better.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!