Author Topic: From the Fry'en Pan, Into the Fire  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Hud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
From the Fry'en Pan, Into the Fire
« on: June 15, 2003, 06:42:13 PM »
Well, I did go to the sale barn today, I did not sell Maple. Horses were going too cheap. Dead broke, 3 to 7 year old, 15 hand Quarter horses were going for $350 to $500.  I'll take her to another one next week.

I did come home with another one though. A nice 15 hand soral gelding.

Two horses were run into the ring as two year old quarter horses.  The bid went to $225 for choice and the high bidder took the one and left the other.

This next time, the bid stopped at $180.   My hand somehow went up and I got the bid at $190.  Then I found out it was just a yearling, and is half Percheron / half Belgian.  This yearling is the size of the 1160 lb. mule I'm sitting on in my little icon picture.  He is going to be a big boy! His daddy I found out is 17 hands at the withers (that is eyeball height for a 6' man) and 2400lbs. Right now he is a dead ringer for a two or three year old quarter horse.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline Mike C

• http://mattbeltonoutfitters.com
draft horses
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 11:07:15 AM »
We use two percherons for pack horses but we do ride them some too, they are real tame, only thing is becasue of their size they spread you out pretty good.  Some people complain that being spread out so far is hard on your knees.  Another drawback to such big pack stock is that it's harder to load panniers and top items, tents come to mind and to tie the diamond you need a tall man or a rock to stand on{;-)

The two percherons, mares, we got as a package and what we found out if that one of them was bred so we now have a beutiful black colt!

Mike C

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 12:07:47 PM »
I really would like to hang on to this guy for a posse horse. That does involve a lot of saddle time but not much moving time. So hopefully his width will not be such a big deal.  I really don't need speed just steadyness. Posse work is mostly traffic control , crowd control and parades. He can run though, he keeps up with Maple, the arab/percheron, but not quite with my quarter horse mule. She is as fast as anything I've seen.
"Newt" was laying down today by my mules.  I was able to walk right up to him. He just layed there like a dog.  I petted him all over and told him what a good boy he was. I then told him "UP" and up he got, then just stood there.

I lead him through my obsticle course and he did great. Over the teeter-toter, through the cans and plastic wall, past the fans. He backs up great. He didn't push my barrel device but he just didn't understand what was involved.

His old owners said that they had only put a blanket on him. I through on a blanket and saddle.  He acted like he had been saddled a 100 times. I ran him around the round pen and he transitioned from a walk to trot to canter smoothly the first times without any indication of a buck. He seems as steady as a rock.  Can't wait till he is old enough to ride.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

Offline AlteJaeger

Maple
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2003, 11:41:22 AM »
:(  Don't knowhow long you've had Maple but speaking for me would be
dfficult to sell a horse who has performed ok for me, notwithstanding her
eating habits. Big animal needs good feed to stay in shape & keep moving.
The way some folks are one never knows what kind of a home they will get. Some animal owners are just complete arses. Realize one is not married to an animal, however, feel for one who has had a decent home,
gives you his/her all and is then sold for whatever reason. Just my 2 cents
worth.

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 06:38:32 AM »
Fred;
Ya, I know what you mean.  It was hard to let her go at the sale yesterday. But she did sell this time, and to a guy we knew, so that helped. My wife cried a little and said good by to her. We had only had her a year but had done alot of training with her.

Now the ones I got (Sota, my 9yrs old mule, and Newt, my yearling horse) will be with me till I am an old man, Lord willing.  Their remaining life span should be 25yrs more or less and that will put me at 70.  I may still be riding then but not ready to break in a new colt.

Marcia, my wife, is pretty stuck on keeping her 10 yr old sorrel mule, Abby.  She does want a black one but will probably never get rid of Abby, if she does get one, so Abby will probably grow old here too.

I'm real excited about Newt's potential as a posse horse. I was reading about a Florida Sherrif's Dept. using Belgians and Percherons as duty horses and it was working out real well for them.

He seams sharp for 12 months old.  Yesterday I caught him on the 4' wide x 12' long teeter-toter, standing on it crossways over the pivot.  He was shifting his weight to rock it back and forth while looking underneath it like he was trying to figure out how the thing worked.

He will also go stand in the box of pop cans and crunch them to get my attention.  He picks up tires in his teeth, out of the  tire pile he is suppose to walk through. He then trows them around and has a high old time with them.

I also shot by him last night while he was eating using a 9mm pistol.  He jumped at the first shot but the other nine shots he ignored. I stood about 15 ft from him and was shooting away from him.  He should be pretty "bomb proof" when I get done with him. I am going to have to upgrade my obsticle course to make it a little more heavy duty as he grows, as he will demolish some of my stuff if he reaches over a ton in weight.

I think I'll have to teach him to stretch one leg forward and bow so I can mount him.

Hud

Offline Tbaus

obstacle course
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 09:58:19 AM »
Hud, what do you use the obstacle course for. Do you train horses for police work. Some of the things you use I would never had thought of , like a teeter totter. The box of cans sounds like something cool to make them walk through. Since this was a one year old you were talking about, do you walk through the test area first with the youngin' on  a lead rope behind you, or how? Minnesota? Is that where you live? I didn't know horses could live that far north! :)  LOL

Offline Rod WMG

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 01:55:27 PM »
I think I'll have to teach him to stretch one leg forward and bow so I can mount him.

I can relate!  I'm 5' 9" with real short legs (plus one is a lot shorter now that I'm an amputee).  Reaching the stirrup to mount has always been a problem for me.  Stirrups set short enough are way up there and my toe tends to poke the horse when I get it in.

Don't camels kneel down for mounting?  Maybe I can get one of those someday!  :roll:  

[/quote]

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 02:44:37 PM »
It seems to me that at one time there was a dohickey available for stirrups that you could lengthen them to mount, then reach down and flip the lever and it would pull the stirrup back up.  Sort of like a flat chain binder.  But I'm going from memory from back 30 years ago.  Probably didn't catch on.

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone