Author Topic: Help with powder  (Read 351 times)

Offline Handgun Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Help with powder
« on: February 07, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »
I've had a pound of winchester MRP for years and started to develope a deer load for my 25-06. With my 120gr. bullets, this seems by far to be the best load I've come up with. I like my old stand by, IMR4831, but hate to trickle up the loads. MRP is ball powder and meters great. Question: Is there still a source for this powder, or is there a ball powder with the same burn rate that I may try?

Thank you for any expereince you can share, Tim.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Help with powder
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 04:46:54 PM »
 Well, I agree with you, H/IMR 4831 are great powders for this caliber. H/IMR 4350 are also good ones, but all are extruded. How about the SC4831? Still extruded, but smaller granules for better metering. I use 4831 almost exclusively for this and the 270Win. But I don't shoot any light for caliber bullets, all my stuff is loaded with big game hunting in mind.

The burn rate is different, but W760 should work as should 414... How about H380 or H870 or even 3100? I haven't personally used any of these in loading for the 25-06.

BTW, don't you mean NORMA MRP?  I have a pound as well, but haven't opened it up.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 06:12:56 AM »
The scuttlebutt decades ago was that Norma MPR became RL22, but even if true you can't safely use the same data for both.  RL-22 is short-grained and much easier to measure than the logs that come in a can of H4831.  It is a fine powder for heavy bullets in a .25-06.

BTW, because the two powders are so different you cannot use the same data for both H4831 and IMR4831 either.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:31:04 AM »
HH

If burn rate is your only criteria , then look at either N165 by Vihtavuori or Magpro by Accurate , both are just slightly slower than the MRP but should meter well .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Handgun Hunter

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:33:27 AM »
Yes guys. I am wanting a similar burn rate. but of these, which is a ball powder. I have used H4831SC since I could get my hands on it, and it does meter well, but not as good as the ball powder in my Lyman #55.

I'll try to goggle a burn rate chart and see if it the physical characteristics of the powder. You guys got me started and thanks for the info.

Tim.
Tim. " The fear of death will not prevent dieing, but it may prevent living "