Author Topic: Anybody hunt with red dot sights?  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Mt_Sourdough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Anybody hunt with red dot sights?
« on: April 10, 2009, 09:22:08 AM »
I am seriuosly considering putting a Burris FastFire on my Marlin 444.  I dont want to add the weight and bulk of a scope to a rifle that I do not intend to use beyond 150 to 200 yards.  It seems like a smart, light, and unobtrusive option.  My eyesight is good, so at these ranges, a 4 moa dot should work just fine.  ???

Anyways, I would like to hear if anybody has used red dot sights and OPINIONS.

Thanks
MT_Sourdough
Gotta git'me a bigger ice box

Offline LunaticFringeInc

• Contributor
Re: Anybody hunt with red dot sights?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:09:41 PM »
I use a BSA red dot sight (admitedly its not the highest quality in choice of optics..) on a NEF Ultra-Slug 12 gauge that I use for Hogs for the most part.  Its worked well for 2 years now so I guess its good enough.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »
MT Sourdough-

Sounds like a great application for what you want to do.  I have hunted for years with an Aimpoint red dot sight on my Super Redhawk, and its a deer killing machine.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I set up a Bushmaster AR-15 flat top with a Burris scope, rings with a Pickatinny rail on top, to which I mounted a FastFire ll, similar to the rifle shown on the Burris web site.  I have put about 300 rounds thru this rig so far, and the sight has kept zero fine.  It is clear and sharp to look thru, and the dot is sharp, with automatic brightness control.  Really small, with a stated 3 year battery life.  Yea, I am impressed...lol  I think it would make a great primary sight on a close range rifle.  I am thinking about mounting one on a  Rock River 1911 .45 I just picked up...

Larry   

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:43:50 PM »
I have a Trijicon Reflex dot sight on my S&W 629 .44 mag and it works great.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:48:37 PM »
i  have an ultra dot  on a 44  winchester trappr
for over 20  years 
never  been  resighted
dropped  real  hard  once.....on concreet
about  thousand rounds  mostly  280 grain
works  great in poor/illegal light
very fast......fastest  sight to  me
never killed a thing

if you luck  is  like  mine  you won't be able to blame the sight set up  either
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 02:43:56 PM »
I've got various types of red dots on my crossbow, CAR and a Marlin.44mag levergun. Great for deer or hog at swamp ranges and for that dreaded urban zombie that could show up one day.

Offline Arier Blut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 06:49:45 PM »
I hunt with a few of them. An ar with a vortex strike fire. A 10-22 with aimpoint. An hk 91 with strikefire. And a 94 win 35 rem with aimpoint.
One little tip I have for ya is to buy a smaller dot. 3moa dot is going to cover about 3" at 100 yards. Let's say a 5 or 10 moa dot would cover up around 10 or 20" at 200 yards. IMHO a dot can't be beat for woods hunting. I have taken 1 deer at 268 yards with the hk 91 but that was stretching it  to {MY} max ability. I had to rest on a good tree and control my breathing and focus on trigger engagement to ensure a good shot was made. With a magnified scope I have taken deer out to 486 yards with the same rifle.
 For 200 and under on big game you will be very happy with one.
On the fastfire I have heard complaints of it not beeing bright enough with the auto light sensor. I have never owned one so just try a search on fastfire 2 review.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 05:36:19 AM »
stick  with  the red  dot
those  multi-reticals  seem to not be as accurate  and  i just go back to the dot....more to break
if  you don't have  one get  one  don't trust  us
remember  to keep both eyes  open....don't use it  like  a scope....but  you can  when  sighting  in

put  one  on a  22  and learn  to use it
at  first  it  will  just seem  like a scope   with  no  magnification
and  you will  keep closing  you other eye
after  a few  hundres  rounds  and  a few  months  of trips  to the range
you  will start  to understand  the  way  these  things  work
somethink  hard to put into  words....you  just  need to experience

like  i say  mound  on  a  22  shoot  in the dark
shoot  moving targets

you  can  even  put  tape  over  the front lens  and with  both  eyes  open........hit  targets
i  suggest  you shoot  it like  that  [some times on  the range]
to  break   you of the habit of closing you other eye
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline lester

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »
I have a Pentax red dot on my .30-06 pump.  Great woods set-up for whitetail.  This was the first year I tried it and shot a buck at about 25 paces while stillhunting.  Instant target acquisition, both eyes open, put the dot where you want it and squuuueeeezze off the shot!

Have an Aimpoint version on my M4 carbine at work and the Pentax is basically the same at about 1/5th the price.

Lester
Lester

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my hunting and fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 12:49:08 AM »
I have a red dot on my .50 muzzle loader and it works great! One thing I don't like is having to carry an extra battery with me in the woods. To boot, I don't like leaving the sight powered up while hunting, and where we hunt, something could jump up in front of you at any given moment.

I have thought about going to a 1 or 1.5 (max allowed in WI) scope. That's something else our Natural Resources Board should mull over. They "think" we have far to many deer in our state. I WASN'T going to go there.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI