Author Topic: suggestions for handgun purchase  (Read 729 times)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
suggestions for handgun purchase
« on: February 14, 2009, 05:57:03 AM »
I received my tax refund and am looking to buy a handgun. My son starts high school next year and this will probably be my last purchase for a while.

There are a lot of things I would like to own but I have to decide on only one and one that is in my price range. Prefferably as far under $1,000.00 as I can get.

I really like 1911s but I already have 4. Though I would buy another if I could get a deal. I was thinking of a Taurus.

I also like 44 mags, m29 maybe? I would love to own a freedom arms but can't afford one, can I? Is it possible to get a used one under a grand?

I have also wanted to replace a couple of guns I used to have, a s&w 66 and a colt mustang gov model. But they're not high on my list.

I like Dan Wesson revolvers also.

I'm so torn, any suggestions?
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: suggestions for handgun purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:11:30 AM »
You're obviously very knowledgeable already. It's hard to advice somebody that already knows  alot.

Perhaps writing down the features you'd like, and then prioritize them on a scale of 1 to 10. Then search for things that meet the criteria you listed. You might be surprised at what you find.

Personally, if I had that budget, and given that I already have target pistols and hunting pistols, I'd like to have a Glock with adjustable sights. Not for defense, but as a shooter for action type games that I've never tried before.
Safety first

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:15:46 AM »
Grimjim,

The only advice I can give you is find one that fits your hand and your priorities best.

Myself, I find that I like the doublestack pistols. i.e. berretta 92, cz75, springfield xd.  I do not like glocks for the lack of a saftey.  Right now I have young children running around and don't own a pistol.

First step.

1. find what fits you best.
2. caliber - what are you wanting and what for?
3. cost
4. capacity - some people like a high cap 9mm, some people like a 6 shot .45lc. 

it all comes down to what you like best and what you can afford.  Always get the best deal.  Myself, I find the cz75 the best pistol for what i'd want, a truck/carry pistol.  Good Luck
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:20:48 AM »
A 4" Model 629. Good all around revolver.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:05:54 AM »
First question you have to ask yourself is "What do I want this gun for, personal protection, concealed carry, target shooting, plinking, collecting/investment?"

I noticed all the guns you mentioned are centerfire.  If you do not have a good .22lr handgun I would suggest you give that some consideration.  Ammo of any kind is getting more and more expensive and harder to find these days.  A good quality .22 will allow you to do a lot more shooting for your dollar and also allow you to reserve your more expensive and harder to find centerfire ammo for limited practice or for when it's really needed.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 09:12:39 AM »
You have a number of 1911's so I guess you have the target, IDPA, Steel and paper target shooting sports covered.
My question back to you is what holes do you have in your pistol collection.
Do you have a good 22LR for small game and target?  Good 22 target/ hunting guns run about $350 to 500 and ammo is dirt cheap compared to center fire pistol.  As an auto I have three Brownings and a revolver I have a Ruger Bisley.  I have a few other 22 pistols but they are mission specific.
Do you have a hunting handgun?  If someone said let's go shoot a {insert big game critter} with handguns this weekend.  Do you have something that would work and be legal?  I ask because in NC the rules I last read were/ are to hunt with a handgun it needs to be 6" long for 22LR and for big game it needs to be as powerfull as 357 mag bottlenecked rounds need to be 2" or longer, and with a 5.5" barrel.  So check with your local laws before buying a hunting handgun.  personally I do not think you can go wrong with a 44 Mag in any configuration, Single action, Double action, or single shot T/C type.
The next question is:  Is $1,000 your whole budget for the gun, holster, extra stuff, and ammo?
One of my friends will blow his whole budget on the gun and never has anything left over for leather and more importantly ammo to practice or just have fun and shoot.  
So I would shop in the new and used shelves for the ONE gun you have a use for.  Other wise I would use the 1,000 for stuff you want or need for the toys you already have.  Upgrade a scope, reloader and dies, ... You know what you need.
Heck the 1,000 would be good to take the kid on a pig hunt somewhere.

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:20:18 AM »
Ever think of getting a .22 convertion kit for one of your 1911's? some are very accurate
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 09:26:39 AM »
I'd buy a krink. Good future investment
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 09:43:55 AM »
replace  the 66 with another or  the 686 in 6 inch for hunting big game
and also a 22  K frame in  6 inch  to match for small game  a cheap practice for  357 above

will go a little over you  $1000 limit
so  get  one  then  the other when  you can add  to you left over money

get  matching grips and  all
i have 2 j-frame smiths  matching  one 22  and one  357
22 j frame is  for cheap practice point shooting for the 357
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 10:22:41 AM »
I was thinking of a Taurus.

BAD BAD idea put such foolish thoughts behind you NOW.  :o

I would love to own a freedom arms but can't afford one, can I? Is it possible to get a used one under a grand?

Yes it is often possible to find one for around a grand or a bit less. I think Lloyd has now picked up to for less. They are out there in that price range if you are persistent in your search.

I believe the first thing you need to do is to decide just what the heck you want this new handgun for. What will be its purpose in your life. Is it to fill some little nitch you feel is glaringly open and must be filled and if so what nitch. It appears to me you just have money that is burning a hole in your pocket and you feel you must spend it before it forces you to buy a new pair of pants as well.

Decide what you want a rimfire or centerfire revolver or semiauto and what its mission in your life will be then buy based on that perceived need. Don't go out and buy it just to spend the money.

I'd suggest not letting go of that S&W 66 I personally consider it the ideal .357 Magnum and have more than one hanging around and would likely make that the last handgun I own to let go of. If my finances hadn't taken such a major down turn this year in fact I'd be on the look out for more of them. I do like shooting the 686 especially with 8-3/8" barrel but for all round use including toting it to the woods I'll take a S&W 66 over any other.

In my opinion anyone who calls themself a handgunner should own a really fine rimfire as it's the cheapest thing there is to shoot and the best practice you can get. Back when I was shooting more actively and in competition I'd go thru 5000+ rounds a summer from my rimfires some times far more. Add to that a fine .357 Magnum like a S&W 66 and/or 686 and a .44 magnum and you've really got all revolver bases covered. From there it's a matter of fulfilling desires not needs.

With the economy headed for the crapper at an accelerating pace perhaps some self defense guns might be better choices that's where I put my money last year and since my income took such a dip this year it's a good thing I did it last year cuz there sure aren't any new guns in my plans for this year.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 12:44:43 PM »
My whole problem is I have all the "need" handguns pretty much covered. From 22's for plinking to 44's for hunting. I cannot legally carry a firearm where I live but have pistols for home protection.

I do have a 6" 686 and a dan wesson pistol pack to cover the 357 category.

The one "hole" I can think of is I don't own one single action revolver.

Greybeard, I got rid of that 66 many years ago and do wish i had it back.

Most of the military pistols are covered also, p08, p38, nagant, broomhandle. Maybe a Webley or a Nambu.

I will use whatever I get for occassional target shooting and basically just adding to the collection. I'm not much for safe queens.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 01:11:10 PM »
Then I would add a Single action gun to the list.
The question is traditional or modern.  Little fixed sights or modern adjustable?
The the whole caliber question.
357 and 44 for hunting also share ammo with what you already have.
Or something you do not have like 45 Colt. Or go with 22/22Mag Ruger for giggles.
I still say go park the $ at the local gun shop and have him call you with cool things on your list.  If the right used critter comes in he will give you a call to come in and look at it.  With out the $ in hand they tend to forget you.  If you deal with two or three shops split it up between them.  Give them an incentive to look for you as they know that you also are dealing with other shops.  The down side with this is I ended up buying three guns as they all called with stuff on the list in the top 5 with good prices.
Good luck.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »
I'm looking at a colt saa, is $599 a good price? Case colored frame, 5 1/2" barrel, fixed sights, chambered in 45 long colt. The only thing I don't lke is it has the black plastic grips, but I can switch those out.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
grimjim, something I put off for many years. Owned many DW's, lots of silhouette pistols,XP's,TC's and the like. Still have them. But, about 2 years ago, thought, one thing I don't own, is a HI-CAP pistol.(Glock,Sig, etc.) What with the current administration, how much longer will one be available. So I bought a S&W M/P in .40cal. Still like my 1911, owned it for way to many years to get rid of it. But have to admit, with 15rds. in the gun, and a spare 15 in the pocket, if I can't get out of a situation with that gun, I deserve what I get. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »
I'm looking at a colt saa, is $599 a good price? Case colored frame, 5 1/2" barrel, fixed sights, chambered in 45 long colt. The only thing I don't lke is it has the black plastic grips, but I can switch those out.

This is a good choice, it is legal for deer hunting in Wisconsin.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 03:26:57 PM »
GYPSYMAN, my defense weapon is a ruger p-85, high cap 9mm so I have one of those.

CHEESEHEAD, I think this is a good deal from what I've seen on gunbroker, but I saw something that makes me wonder. Someone was selling a saa that had a blackpowder frame.  ??? I've never heard of this but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm wondering if this revolver is black powder only.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 03:28:23 AM »
I'm seriously looking at Charter arms. Not fancy or expensive but a basic American made revolver.If I decide on a big bore their 44 special bulldog should fit the bill for me. If I want one I better get started , Where I live it takes a year or more to be approved to purchase a handgun,and then they restrict your permit to hunting and target use.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 03:34:08 AM »
There might be something I'm not aware of regarding that Colt but around here I've not seen one new or used going for less than $1200 in quite some while. If it hit the shelf around here for that price it likely wouldn't have lasted 30 minutes before it was sold.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 11:30:56 AM »
It is a used gun so there is a light ring on the cylinder. Locks up tight and the bore is shiny. I think I'm going for it.

I posed the question about the black powder frame in the single action revolvers forum. I got this in response if anyones interested

http://www.truewestmagazine.com/stories/clearing_the_smoke/231/

Thanks everyone for the help.

NRA LIFE MEMBER