Author Topic: Finally Got a Good Buck 2  (Read 1103 times)

Offline denvas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Finally Got a Good Buck 2
« on: December 18, 2002, 05:43:12 AM »
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/denvas@sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/My+Photos

Ok let's try this again. Please see if you can view the picture of my buck on this link. You will hae to click on the thumbnail unavailable button and the phot should come up ok.

Thanks.
Denvas
May the wind always blow in your face and the sun always shine over your shoulder. Then your prey will be unable to smell you and unable to see you until after they hear the crack of your shot!

Offline jhm

nice deer
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 06:19:16 AM »
denvas did you get your deer around the houston area or west of there towards the alamo town? :D   JIM

Offline denvas

• Avid Poster
Where I took my deer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 07:41:28 AM »
No, I took him up near the Burnet/Lake Buchann area, north of Hwy 29 and west of Georgetown, along the San Gaberial river.
Denvas
May the wind always blow in your face and the sun always shine over your shoulder. Then your prey will be unable to smell you and unable to see you until after they hear the crack of your shot!

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 08:37:00 AM »
That is a durn nice hoss of a buck, denvas. Congratulations! Just curious, but I am keeping a kind of informal tab on what time of day folks are seeing and killing the really nice bucks. What time of day did you take him?

I'm also seeing more and more whitetails with forked G2s. It took a 155 B&C four years ago with a 10" G2 forked about the last 4". This year I took a nice one, antlers not quite as wide or heavy, but another long G2 forked about the last 3". I can't tell from the picture but it looks like the left G2 is definitely forked and maybe the right one also.

The buck I took four years ago was also very light grey all about the head and upper neck. Thought he was old, but he was only 3.5 years old. Are our whitetails all going muley on us?
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline denvas

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 10:38:33 AM »
Huntsman,

I took this buck about 4:30 pm on a slightly overcast day. He came into a feeder set up along the banksof the San Gabriel river in a hidden little canyon that was barely 80 yards across. It had a open area to the left of the feeder that was about 60 yards of short to knee high grass. To the left of the feeder was a brushy area that was full of 3 to 5 inch diameter trees and short shrub type bushes that ended in a 50 foot high rock wall. The end of the rock wall ended in a bluff that almost ran out to the river in that direction. He was pursuing a doe and come in through the trees and stopped about 40 yards out from my stand, just barely out of the trees.

He is a typical 8-pointer but 5 of his tines,including the ends of the main beam, are split for at least 3 inches in crab claws. This made him a 13-pointer. Even though he may look young this was a very old deer. He had no front teeth left to speak of and his molars were very worn down. His live body weight was only in the 120 lb range but I believe that this is due to him pursuing does during the rut. A local rancher said he had seen the same deer earlier in the year and he had looked to be around 160 lbs live weight. Happy Hunting!
Denvas

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 05:39:19 AM »
Nice buck Denvas but I think I like the shirt better :wink:
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline markc

Very nice.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2002, 06:39:27 AM »
Bout time you got to actually do some hunting yourself.  Nice buck,  the setup sounds good to in that little canyon.
markc
markc