Author Topic: Am I stupid?  (Read 501 times)

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Am I stupid?
« on: February 15, 2009, 02:39:41 PM »
  I'm having some trouble figuring out these dies. (Lee collet 2 die set 270 Winchester) The inner mandrel that the collet squishes the case against measures .275 and my bullets measure .276 so that should give me about 1thou of bullet pull, right? Problem is when the bullet starts in the case I can push it right in with my thumb. Not tight enough. I measured a neck after resizeing and it's not really changing. If I start with a neck at .280 I can get it down to about .276 if I push my press handle REALLY hard...like as if to rip it off the bench. I'm using a Lee challenger press so I'm not having an issue with a press that goes over-center. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone here have experience with these type dies?
  One other thing, my load sheet says min. OAL of 3.280, if I load these 130gn Hornady interlocks in the cannelure I'll be at 3.190. What gives with this?

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Am I stupid?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 02:57:06 PM »
My LEE collet die mandrel measures .275" also but the bullets should measure .277".
Never had a problem getting mine to create a tight fit.

Can't help you with the cannelure as I run my bullets close to the lands and the cannelure doesn't come into play.

Bill

EDIT*
If you are adjusting the die to contact the shell holder, then turning the die down 1 full turn, that should work. They do recommend for a tighter fit to turn the die down an additional 1/4 turn.

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »
the only thing I can say is maybe your die is not turned down far enough to size properly,I found it takes a lot of of force to do these as to a normal neck die.
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »
Might take a look to make sure the correct collet is inside (marked for .270) and that the 4 slices are cut fully through so it compresses properly.

I have heard of folks using so much force that the aluminum top cap pops off...

Bill

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 03:52:33 PM »
  Thanks guys, I did try turning the die the extra 1/4 turn but that didn't help. I just grabbed 5 random bullets outta my box and rechecked them. Very consistantly at a strong .276 . I would say I've tried up to about 60 pounds of force on the press arm to resize these, surely I shouldn't need that much. If I do I guess I'm gonna hafta build a stouter bench! I'm wondering if mabye my collet isn't over-sized? It is marked 270 and appears properly built, The hole measures .322-.323 . Think I should try to talk to someone at Lee?

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 04:34:10 PM »
Yes, by all means, if it isn't working properly give LEE a call or email and tell them about the problem.
I've gotten several faulty parts replaced by them in the past and have always found them easy to deal with.

The opening on the collet I have measures .320".

Bill

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 04:42:09 PM »
 Yeah, Bill. Thats where I got the .322 (between two "petals") and .323 (between the other two). I measured with the collet in my hand, put the caliper between two petals and twisted lightly to "settle" it against the inside without pushing them apart.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »
The only other suggestion I have is to check the mating surfaces of the collet and the tapered bushing where it slides into to make a smooth transition. On all the ones I have, I've smoothed up the surfaces a bit because the finish they come with is usually a bit rough with tool marks from the lathe and might (unlikely) hangup.

Besides that, I'm fresh out of ideas.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Bill

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 03:14:51 AM »
"I have heard of folks using so much force that the aluminum top cap pops off..."

Lee makes that cap of aluminum so it can act as a "fuse".  It's the cheap "weak link" and will blow out if we put too much pressure on the die, it keeps us from breaking the press or the die!

Seems the bullets are slightly undersize, nothing the die can do about that.

The open diameter of the collet neck only need be large enough to allow the case neck to enter, it's not a critical dimension at all.  Ditto the dimensions of the collet and closer taper.

"Grinding" the neck diameter of the mandrel will fix the problem easily.  Chuck the lower part of the mandrel, the primer pusher end, in a high speed drill motor.  Use a section of some black sandpaper, silicon carbide actually, held against the mandrel to do that.  Using a grit of anything from 150 to 220 should do nicely.  There is no real benefit in "polishing" the finished mandrel with a finer grit but it does make it look nicer.

Decrease the working (actual neck contact) portion of the mandrel's diameter no more than 1.5 thousant, that should be all you will ever need. 

Lee would likely do it for you but you can do it yourself much faster!

Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:22:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys... Lee replied to my e-mail and said to send it in and they'll make it right.