Author Topic: Canins Cannons  (Read 522 times)

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Canins Cannons
« on: March 22, 2009, 02:27:36 PM »
Any Illinois guys on here that had any dealings with or knew an older gent located up in Aurora, IL (a large Chicago suburg)?  His name was Ellsworth Canin and he was a scale cannon fabricator and collector.  His business card shows a picture of a Dahlgren and his little business was known as "Canins Cannons".  He was around 70 something fifteen years ago so chances are he is no longer with us.  He had told me about a large booklet he had made up which had pictures and detailed information on just about every single old BP cannon on display located in the entire State of Illinois and directions to each location.  I'd sure like to see that booklet.  He also indicated that had included quite a bit of info about a large number of the old BP cannons located in the States of Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin.  Anyone know about this chap or his booklet?  ???
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Canins Cannons
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:30:46 PM »
If nothing shows up directly, you might-could inquire of the state histerical society or library.  That would be right up their alley!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 06:44:13 AM »
Bob, would your inquiry be about the same Ellsworth Canin from Illinois, that finally decided to collect only Ellsworth Cannon, and house them in his warehouse in Ellsworth, Illinois? Because if it is, then my answer to you is a resounding, "I've never heard of this guy". ::)

PS  Is the weather starting to warm up in Colorado?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 02:12:21 PM »
Bob, would your inquiry be about the same Ellsworth Canin from Illinois, that finally decided to collect only Ellsworth Cannon, and house them in his warehouse in Ellsworth, Illinois? Because if it is, then my answer to you is a resounding, "I've never heard of this guy". ::)
PS  Is the weather starting to warm up in Colorado?

Well, this Ellsworth Canin used to come to a good number of Illinois gun shows with an even older gent by the name of Charlie Isleman.  They both came in Charlies car which was a Rolls Royce.  Was always amusing to see them unload all that artillery out of that fancy ole Rolls. Actually, Ellsworth housed his cannon collection in his house right in the City of Aurora, IL.  On one of my visits with him, he offered to let me look through his cannon location booklet but I was in too blasted much of a hurry.  Now I really regret not accepting his offer.  It is often said that "Haste makes waste". :(

Weather in Colorado -
We've been having temps in the mid 70's lately and really need some rain or snow to lessen the forest fire threat.  These threats are serious especially with wind gusts up to 40 and 50MPH. :o
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 03:03:45 PM »
C'mon Blaster, don't be :( be :D it's the fourth day of SPRING!

If E. Canin was transporting part of his collection around in his pals Rolls he must have been into miniatures; do you recall what types of artillery he had?

It's warmer by you by about 10°, than it is here; I hope you do get some rain to lessen the possibility of fires.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.