Author Topic: Mounting older Lyman, Unertyl & Redfield 3200 scopes  (Read 798 times)

Offline SM Outdoors

• Trade Count: (3)
Mounting older Lyman, Unertyl & Redfield 3200 scopes
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »
Anyone here have any input on mounting the older style long target scopes. If you use the receiver mounts it puts both supports close to the back of the scope. I have seen some articles about mounting directly to the barrel but have not ventured that way and have been just using standard mounting points. I am concerned that this over time may alter the level of the scope as much of the weight is unsupported over the barrel.
Blessed be the lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war,
and my fingers to fight.
Psalm 144:1

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Mounting older Lyman, Unertyl & Redfield 3200 scopes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:15:45 AM »
My 60's Rem 700 BDL Varmint in 22-250 has a Lyman Super Target Spot on it. There are 3 mounting target blocks on it. 2 are on the receiver and the 3rd is in the barrel about  8" to 10" down from the receiver. The only 2 used are the back one on the receiver and the barrel one. This was already done when I bought it in 1968.

Offline SM Outdoors

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:22:30 AM »
Handgunner,
Using the 3 mounting points have you ever had point of impact float after the barrel heats up? Also can you see what mounting method was used to mount to barrel? I have seen weaver based attached as well as having a dovetail groove in the barrel with a raised stud inserted into the dovetail.
and my fingers to fight.

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:43:03 AM »
Never had any problem with the point of aim changing. This scope also slides on a rail after each shot. These are the target blocks that came for that scope. It is drilled & tapped into the barrel.
This was always & still is one off my most accurate varmint rifles. This was my crow eliminator back in the days when we could shoot about anywhere in town. ( Now most of the farms & lands are Millon $$ houses.) Back then when a crow was within 350 - 400 yrds on a calm day his chances of living another day weren't good. Now they even put a season on these pest. Back then the farmers would pay you to shoot them.
It's to bad I only get it out a time or two each year to run a few rounds through it just to make sure it still can shot one hole groups.

Offline SM Outdoors

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 07:11:37 AM »
That makes a lot of sense. The spring loaded sliding mounts (I think Unertyl called the Posi mounts) would be a great option.
and my fingers to fight.