Author Topic: Thoughts on the .357 SIG  (Read 826 times)

Offline baer19d

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
Thoughts on the .357 SIG
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
I'm considering buying a Styer pistol in 357 SIG and I was just wondering what some people think of this round and Styer pistols.    Thanks, Mike

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Thoughts on the .357 SIG
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:14:31 PM »
The .357 Magnum is one of the most effective people stoppers out there. The .357 SIG actually a hot 9MM was designed to roughly match its performance and it comes really really close to doing just that. In fact it does match the loads currently offered by the factories for the magnum round but doesn't quite match the potential the magnum has and used to be loaded to. Based on that and the fact that pistols chambered for it almost never jam it should be an excellent choice.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:56:51 PM »
My FIL has one that I like very much.  Snappy recoil but definitely manageable.  I'd not feel undergunned with one at all. 

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 11:21:07 PM »
I have one in Sig 239.
As No Guns said it is snappy.
I carry it a lot.
The round carries a lot of potential for a self-defense round and basically I describe it as a .357.
The sig in this caliber is a real winner + with a mere barrel change it shoots a .40 with the same mags. The barrel are not too expensive.
Consider the Sig if you can.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 02:57:58 AM »
maine state if&w issue the 357 sig to its game wardens.  me. st gov dose a lot of dumb things this was not one of them. just be design bottle necked rounds will feed more reliably.  i would rather have the 357 sig than the 40 s&w that we are issued, or just give us back our model 65s.

dose anyone remember when 40 s&w stood for 40 short and weak.  that went out the window
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 06:22:27 AM »
OK, so I went to Wiki and read about the 357SIG.  I like what I read and now I have questions.

Recoil comparisons?
Easy to re-load?
Who makes guns chamber for the 357SIG?
Good for CC gun??
How much $$$ for a good one??

Now, see what ya started??  ;)

This would be my first center fire handgun.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 11:52:23 AM »
The .357 Sig is an excellent choice in a defensive pistol.  AS for what pistol to buy, as far as I am concerned the only choice is the Sig Sauer, model 229 or 239.  I would also encourage you to purchase a .40 barrel.  Why?  .357 Sig ammo is very high and hard to locate at this time. :o :o :o  Premium grade ammo is selling for something in the neighborhood of $40.00 a box, you can still find .40 ammo at a reasonable price, so you won’t have to make it a “safe queen” because it is so expensive to shoot.

JMHO, but go with the recommended gun and extra barrel, you should be able to find one (used or factory rebuilt) for something in the neighborhood of $500, I recently seen them in a CDNN Catalog in this price range. The sky is the limit on a new one depending how you want it configured.

Some folks may debate the advice on a used Sig, but I have found them to very good guns, and never bought one that didn't function perfect! ::) ::)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:54:09 AM »
The 357 Sig is a excellent design.  Based on the 40 Short and Weak (S&W) and necked to 9mm.  It doesn't jam.  The cartridge is a excellent choice for personal defense and is more than adequate for small game.  The cartridge case itself can easily be formed with reloading dies - just the sizer - from 40 S&W brass which is plentiful on the ranges or in stores.  If you want you can always buy a 40 S&W pistol and install a 357 Sig barrel. 

I'm not a real fan of dao or sa/da pistols and although the Sig, and others are of excellent design and functional reliance the do not feel comfortable in my hand.  The Steyr is a excellent pistol and design but way outta my price range. 

I dunno, but I think that if I were to go for a 357 Sig caliber pistol I would probalby get a 1911 in 40 S&W and then get a 357 Sig barrel from Bar-Sto in 29 Palms, CA.  I would  get the barrel made in 357 diameter bbl rather than the 9mm 355 diameter - that way I could shoot 38 caliber slugs through it.  A 38/357 slug in 125 gn hp acts just like a 9mm in the same weight and configuration when shot to the same velocity.  The advantage of the 38/357 diameter bbl is the wider variety of slugs, including wadcutters and semi-wadcutters.  I think that with the 1911s you may have a bit of additional room for loading slugs out a bit longer.  Actually, a 148 gn hardcast wadcutter at around 1225'/sec, which is a easy load in that cartridge with that slug, would be a great personal defense round.    jmtcw.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:41:03 AM »
The .357 Sig is an excellent cartridge. It approaches .357 mag performance with the 125 gr bullets. The cartridge design provides reliable feeding in most any pistol chambered for it. I don't find the recoil of the .357 Sig or the .40 S&W to be a consideration in cartridge choice. Haven't reloaded the .357 Sig but I'm sure the case would require lubing prior to the sizing operation. That's something to consider if you load on a progressive. As others have stated, a simple barrel change gets you to .40 S&W for a more readily available ammo source. Now days, a conversion barrel in 9mm, and a few 9mm mags might also be a good idea,----------JIC--------- ;).
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 08:44:39 AM »
I have a Glock 22 40 S&W. I bought 9mm and 357 Sig barrels for it. I use the 357 barrel most of the time, recoil is same as 40 to me..........kinda want a 10mm.............

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 10:54:57 AM »
I had a model 239 and it was a great gun. I sold it and went to the 45 ACp and 40 S&W for my carry guns.  I just did not like the price of the ammo. 
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA