Author Topic: Sightron SII compares to ????  (Read 2623 times)

Offline TrappinJohn

• Trade Count: (15)
Sightron SII compares to ????
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:44:41 AM »
Hey guys

Found a pretty good deal on a used Sightron SII scope in a local classifieds.   I've heard nothing but good reviews about there quality and warranty, but was wondering where you guys think they stack up in comparison to others in quality.   Are they close to Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch, Bushnell 3200 or 4200, Leupold VX-I, VX-II or VX-III

Thanks

Offline JimFromTN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Sightron SII compares to ????
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:19:08 AM »
I have a SII 1.5-6x42.  I know its better than the BuckMaster and the VariX II because I have owned those also.  I would say its somewhere between a BuckMaster and a Monarch.  Probably closer to a Monarch.  The SII Big Sky's are even better than the standard SII.  They are more on the level of the Monarch/VXIII/Elite 4200.

They are great scopes for the money.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:32:30 AM »
+1

I agree with Jim in that they are very close to the 4200/VX-III/Monarch line.

The new SIII trumps the SII model if you can pinch pennies and afford that one though.

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:14:47 AM »
I have several SII's - a 4X32, two 6X42's, a 3X9 AO rimfire, and a 3X9X42 with an illuminated reticle.  I bought them all when on sale at different times and I believe they have been one of the better values in the scope world.  I agree with the other posters as to where they rank in quality.  That's just where I would have pegged them and I also own 4200's, VXIII's, and Monarchs.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Skopia

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 01:40:33 AM »
Cement Man
 Been looking at both the 4x32 and the 6x42. Any input? Thanks

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 04:12:41 AM »
Skopia,
Both, in my opinion, are good solid scopes with very good optics and tracking.  They are pretty subdued in appearance - plainer than many, not glitzy with lettering, etc. but bespeak quality.  I have seen both of these models listed as "compact".  I disagree with that.  The 4X32 certainly is a compact scope, but the 6X42 is full sized by any standard.
The 4X32 I have used on shorter, "woods type" rifles. I like 4X scopes for (hunting) up to 200 yards or so. I had it on a Ruger#1 RSI, now on a #1 .45/70. The eye relief is longer at 4.5", FOV is wider (25'), and the reticle is heavier (1/2" at 100 yds.).  Like any short scope, make sure it will mount and work well for you on the rifle you intend to use it on.  You do not have a lot of room on the tube to adjust for eye relief.  This scope does have 4.5" of ER, so that helps a lot with such a short tube.  I have to use Ruger extension rings on #1's for my build, but that's me.
The 6X42's I like for my "longer range" hunting rifles (up to 300 yards) - right now one sits on a .30-06 Mauser.  ER is 3.6", FOV is 20'.  The scope is 3" longer than the 4X32 and has much more room for mounting adjustment.  The reticle subtends .33".
I still like fixed power scopes for much of my hunting, although most people use higher magnifications nowdays.  I'm old enough to remember when 4X was more of a standard for "high power" rifles. Before I started hunting deer and elk, I read a lot of Jack O'Connor (funny, I have never owned a .270) and recall reading about the 2.5X Lymans. Noskes, etc. and fairly long shots made with these scopes.  I shot a lot of animals with iron sights (can't do that anymore!) and so a scope - any scope, was a big boost for me.  I also believed that fixed is simpler, clearer, and less prone to problems.  I don't think that is too arguable, but the quality of good variables nowdays makes that a moot point.  ( I just bought a new - closeout Leupold VXIII 4.5X14 with VH reticle to mount on my new .25-06 for antelope, even though I KNOW, that my 6X's will get the job done for most all of my shots.)  Some of the mid-priced 3X9's nowdays offer great versatility and outstanding value for less than a good fixed power, and scopes like the Bushnell 6500 (NOT MID-PRICED) have incredible versatility, and I believe great optics and durability.
Still, a 4X32 Sightron on a carbine sized woods rifle is a perfect match to me, and the 6X42 takes me out farther in open country.
Don't know if I helped, but that's the way I look at it.  Good luck!

edited to clarify that the 6500 is not a mid-priced scope - not to me anyway.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Skopia

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 03:32:01 AM »
Cement Man,
 Wow, thanks. More than enough info there. And well explained too. You answered all my questions. The scope is going on a muzzleloader so the 4x sounds like more than enough. Thank you for the detail. Would you consider the Sightron to be the pick for 4x scopes?

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 06:12:50 AM »
Skopia,
As far as the "pick of the 4X scopes", I'm not copping out - but here is my answer:  If it fits your rifle and your application, and the price is right, it "could" have my vote.  I don't know what you might be paying for it and don't want to, but cost is also a factor to me.  There are many good scopes out there - Weaver K4, Nikon Buckmasters, Leupold FX4, and I'm not sure about the Burris Fullfield or Nikon Monarch being sold in 4X any more but I have found them to be excellent also.  Some of them may be a little more versatile in what else you can mount them on.  I have a Burris Fullfield, Nikon Monarch and a Buckmaster in 4X that have been on a few different rifles that might not be as good of a fit for the Sightron.  For most muzzleloaders I believe it would be a great choice - good magnification, generous eye relief, acceptable field of view, exit pupil of 8, nice size, great warranty, good optics.  Again, I'd take the time to make sure that the mounting works for you - particularly on the muzzleloader you are plannning to put it on.  I have a TC Omega, NEF Huntsman, and a Savage MLII, if one of these is what you have, I can see how my Sightron "measures up" for those models, if that would help..

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 04:21:06 AM »
If you are not absolutely set on a fixed power scope, CheaperThanDirt has a clearance sale on Sightron SIII 1.5-6x50 scopes for $249.  Thats less than half of retail and probably a third of list.  I have one on my Thompson Center Omega.  Its the best low light scope I have ever looked thru.  They claim 98% light gathering ability but I don't know that its actually possible.  Its a great scope especially for that price.  It does have a 30mm tube which is good for durability but kind of a waste from an extended windage and elevation and adjustment standpoint.  The 50 mm objective is also a waste seeing as the max power is 6x which means it won't ever be used to its potential.  A 6x scope never needs more than a 42mm objective.  Its the best scope in that power range for the money.  It rates with the Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42 and the meopta 1.5-6x42 which are both $500-$600 scopes.

I wish I had the money.  I would buy another just to put on the shelf until I had something to put it on.

Offline Skopia

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 02:30:38 PM »
The 4x scope would be mounted on a T/C Omega. I have a Browning 2-7x32 (made be Bushnell) on another Omega and that scope has served me well. I believe I paid $129.00 from Natchez. It really is not a bad scope.  I was looking to down size as far as length of scope and weight. The Sightron seems to fit that bill. The other consideration is the best glass for the money. I believe the base on the Omega would allow me to use the 4x Sightron with no problem. I am open to any recomendations and I am not partial to a particular brand although I have read good things about the Sightron as well as Nikon and others. Seems the price range for these scopes will be 200 +/-.
I went to the local Bass Pro to look at some scopes but they did not have 4x scopes on hand. The Nikons did look very clear though and the Bushnell were also very clear, no Sightrons. I felt that the sales person was trying to stir me in a direction that I did not want to go. I knew that I could receive answers here from hunters and shooters that have first hand knowledge.
Thank you.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 03:47:43 PM »
I have to agree with some of our members that have stated that the Sightron IIs are between a Nikon Buckmaster (older models, not the newer ones with higher light transmission) and a Nikon Monarch.  I guess about the same could be said about it being between the Elite 3200s and 4200s.  However, I don't think that the Sightron IIs are very close or closer to the Monarchs or Elite 4200s.  In my opinion, I would say that they are closer to the Buckmasters and 3200s (which is still very good).

Zachary

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 06:31:15 PM »
Skopia, as you mentioned Omega,
I got out my Omega which currently has a Burris Fullfield 4X on it and put the Sigtron 4X32 next to it. The Omega has a TC mount (Weaver style) and the Sightron looks like it will really fit well.  There is plenty of room for eye relief adjustment with this scope and this mount.  I could take a photo of it if you like.  I'd say it would make a great combo.
I have nothing but good to say about the 4X40 Buckmaster also.  Mine is on a 20 gauge NEF Ultra Slug Hunter.  Very good optics and when I zeroed it on the slug gun the W&E adjustments were extremely precise - which I appreciated at almost $3 per slug.

I have to agree with some of our members that have stated that the Sightron IIs are between a Nikon Buckmaster (older models, not the newer ones with higher light transmission) and a Nikon Monarch.  I guess about the same could be said about it being between the Elite 3200s and 4200s.  However, I don't think that the Sightron IIs are very close or closer to the Monarchs or Elite 4200s.  In my opinion, I would say that they are closer to the Buckmasters and 3200s (which is still very good).

Zachary

Regarding the Monarch 4X40 Zachary mentioned, I have one in a box yet. (Not for sale, just haven't decided what to mount it on.) I  checked the model number - it is a model 6505. Sadly they are discontinued.  About a a year or two ago, SWFA was selling these for a price I couldn't believe so I bought a few.  I gave one to a good friend who allows me to hunt on his land and one I installed on my Savage MLII muzzleloader.  The first morning I used it, was heavy overcast and first light was coming slowly. At shooting time it was really dark yet.  I had an either sex tag and saw a deer moving towards me about 60 yards away as I recall.  When I put the rifle up and looked through that Monarch it was like the lights got turned on.  Amazingly bright.  The deer was nice enough to turn and give me a broadside shot, the Savage with a smokeless load and a Hornady XTP put the deer right down, and the Monarch made it like high noon.   :)