Author Topic: Sterling Arms X-Caliber  (Read 1822 times)

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Sterling Arms X-Caliber
« on: February 12, 2009, 04:20:44 AM »
   I have one of these in 357 mag. Never been fired. Thinking it is about time to get it out and shoot it. Anyone have any experience with them? ;D

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Sterling Arms X-Caliber
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:25:51 AM »
Only as a trotline weight. ;D

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 09:02:07 AM »
  Thanks for the answer John. I have to assume to don't even know what the hand gun is.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 04:32:12 AM »
Most guns that have Sterling on them are cheap made guns (most were automatics), sorry if I got yours confused with something else.

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 02:36:16 AM »
The Sterling X Caliber single shot was not made very long. One may have been tested by an IHMSA member in The Silhouette years ago, but I just be imagining that. I've never shot one, and in fact, have only ever seen one!
It was not an expensive handgun, and even though it is a bit of a rarity, I doubt that its value will ever increase dramatically. I see no reason to avoid shooting it to see how well it does, and if it performs to your satisfaction there should be no reason to avoid shooting it regularly. That's what these ol' handguns are for!
One bit of bad news is that if something should ever break, finding a replacement part will likely be a real challenge...but that's no worse than having a gun you won't shoot, anyway.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 04:40:43 AM »
Heck yeah! Try it out! I can't imagine owning a gun I've never fired.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 06:18:21 AM »
I found this one on gunbroker. Pretty nice looking i think.http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123157619

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »
  Thanks for the replys folks. You are right superdown. Very nice looking gun. I know more about Sterling than i let on. Just not the X-Caliber. Sterling rented half of the building from the man that owned the place i use to work. If i am not mistaken Ithaca bought the rights to make the X-Caliber. That is when the problems with t/c started. Not sure if Ithaca ever made any. It is also correct that their autos were junk. The reason Sterling went out of business. And i know this for a fact. Is because a woman dropped her auto and it went off. Shooting her in the head. She sued for six million dollars and won. Good bye Sterling arms. If the one on gun broker is going for that much i guess i got a deal on this one $235.  Think i will put a scope on it and shoot it. Thanks again folks.
     bobg

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:07:05 AM »
Sure looks like an early TC, I'm suprised that Sterling and TC didn't go a few rounds in court.