Author Topic: Rear Sights for 1858 Pietta  (Read 1140 times)

Offline vanbuzen9

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Rear Sights for 1858 Pietta
« on: February 18, 2009, 02:42:46 AM »
Hey guys,

I have a nice 1858 pietta I bought from cabelas, and I am trying to find some adjustable rear sights to put on it.  Do you guys know of any manufacturer that produces these?  I can't find them anywhere.  Pietta does make some 1858's with adjustable sights, so I know they are out there somewhere!

thanks!

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Rear Sights for 1858 Pietta
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 05:53:46 PM »
The Remington made with adjustable sights is quite different, it has a high front sight and rear not unlike a Ruger Blackhawk.  The problem with adding an adjustable rear sight to yours is that it is bound to be higher than the notch milled in the sight groove of the topstrap.  Accordingly, a new, taller front sight will have to be added to match it.

It would be better to buy an adjustable "Target" Remington than to go to the trouble and expense of modifying the traditional sighted version you have.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline remdog58

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 02:33:08 PM »
if you truly want to go that route "DGW"(dixie gun works) sell 1858 remmi adjustable sights.

part#

EP2600=COMPLETE REAR SIGHT

EP1735=FRONT SIGHT

Remdog :)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »
I agree with Flint, if you want adjustable sights it would be better to trade for one built that way. In addition to the cost of the sights you will have to mill a slot in the top strap for the rear sight and dovetail the barrel for the front sight, expensive work. Best to find a good accurate load, regulate the fixed sights to zero that load and stick with it. I've done a lot of tinkering with sights on revolvers because they generally need some tinkering but I've never seen any need for adjustable sights on a cap & ball revolver.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.