Author Topic: Any one wear a pack frame all the time? How do you sling  (Read 869 times)

Offline tominboise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Any one wear a pack frame all the time? How do you sling
« on: August 03, 2003, 04:33:00 PM »
your rifle?  I am going to hunt with a pack frame full time this year.  My fanny pack fits nicely on the bottom of it.  But I can't sling my rifle over my shoulder, it hits the frame :?   What do you guys do?
Regards,

Tom

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
Any one wear a pack frame all the time? Ho
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 04:41:42 AM »
I use Cabela's backpack rifle hanger and like it pretty well.  Go here

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 07:10:48 AM »
I always just carry the weapon.  You can also buy one of those assault slings that keeps your weapon at the ready.  You can also buy a Caribeener and attach it to your straps and just clip the sling in if you must sling your weapon.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 08:49:38 AM »
It will depend upon the configuration of your frame, but I use the military alice frames and just sling it across my front side when I need to.

Offline Losthwy

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 02:08:24 PM »
I have tried the Safari sling (military type), keeps your gun at ready but, it is not a comfortable option. And the Gun-Slinger carrier which is slow to mount. Kifaru has the Gun-bearer which has a patented quick release forend strap that is comfortable and fast. www.kifaru.net/HUNTHOME.HTM

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 02:20:21 PM »
:D Hey there hunters,

Have carried a pack frame when hunting in the Snake river breaks, but was young enough then to carry the rifle in my hands.

Alas, time goes by and when I moved to Ol'I-dee ho and needed to keep the rifle a bit handier because of the increased cover, I was in a big hurt. Hands and arms ache and go to sleep.  Tried a rifle lighter then my favorite #1 but that was not completely successful. THEN I tried the Boonie OR Safari Sling made, I believe, in Salem Oregon.

END OF PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The rifle is always ready, very fast into action and the few problems are minor when compared to the all day comfort of carry. I have found that it can be carried as shown in the ads, across the body or with the muzzle down. Both ways, it is up to the shoulder like it was spring loaded.

HAVE NOT tried it with a frame, but if the frame is of a normal shape at the top, I see no reason why the Safari Sling wouldn't work great!!

I should get a commission on the things, as people who try mine usually get one for their own rifle. It isn't a 100% fix, just very close

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 11:28:39 AM »
Darrell, did that "spring loaded" rifle ever come up so fast it hit you in the chops??? :lol:  :lol:  Actually it sounds like a good deal.  We dont do spot and stalk like out west, but when carrying stuff to your ground blind in Michigan it can be a pain trying to get thru the woods with a regular sling across your back.  The barrel tends to sit up higher than your head and hits tree limbs.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2003, 01:33:58 PM »
:D Hey there Longwinters,

Good to hear from your direction!

No problem as yet getting hit in the chops, but I am really impressed how handy the sling is.

At this point I supose that I may as well fess up about the MINOR problems as I see them with the thing.

1. I sure do like pretty leather and this sling is nylon.

2. It tends to shift position a bit if you are riding a four wheeler with it    on.   But then on the other hand if you had a rifle slung on that nice fancy leather sling the barrel would be up in the air and creating problems everytime you went under something. NOT GOOD!!

#3.  And probably the only real problem, is that because of the loops which go over the barrel and butt it can turn turtle on you if the rifle gets out of position. If and when this happens, the rifle is still attached to you, and all you need to do is reposition the loop which goes over the butt. When carried across the body, this doesn't happen.  But as I said earlier, I also like the rifle carried in the muzzle down position and when carried that way the loop can slip off the butt  IF  you allow the rifle to go to the vertical position rather then maintaining a slightly muzzle forward angle.

In short, I like the sling. Because of the way it is carried it has taken the HURT out of having a rifle instantly ready for action. The rifle turning turtle, I don't like, but it is so minor when compared to all the plus things I could say, it is really a non-issue.

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag