Author Topic: Last Chance  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Last Chance
« on: January 04, 2004, 06:16:05 PM »
Tana and I are going to west Tennessee next weekend to deer hunt the last three days of the season. Hope to get some venison for canning.

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Last Chance
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 07:36:04 AM »
Best of luck on your hunt. Hope you don't get skunked liked Crystal and I did. Even so, its an experience you will remember for a lifetime. :wink:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Contributor
Last Chance
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 04:02:25 AM »
I didn't even see a deer. Tana only saw one which she couldn'y get a shot. The deer were in the thickest of the thickest and not active. We are looking forward to hog hunting.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Last Chance
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 12:22:48 PM »
If hogs there are as thick as they are here, you should be able to score. Those little hogs around 70-100 pounds are fine eating. Good luck to you and Tana.  :D
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Contributor
Last Chance
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 02:07:00 PM »
Huntsman, do you need some help thinning the herd?

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Last Chance
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 12:57:41 PM »
Jeff,

Yes we could use some help thinning the herd, but unfortunately our lease is restricted to family members only or I would invite you to come down and give it a try. Sorry, just a nuance of our situation.

I killed a 250 lb boar in November and a 200 lb sow last January and I wasn't even trying to hunt hogs. They run in packs from 8 or so to 30 or more. D*&% agricultural nuisance, too. You might have luck calling an ASCS office in a county down here and asking for a few of the largest crop producers (they will know at ASCS who they are). Call those crop farmers - you most likely can get free access for hogs - no season, no limit. 8)

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Contributor
Last Chance
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 03:47:04 PM »
Huntsman, thanks for the suggestion. We hunt South Texas between Freer and Encinal. I'm going in April, have to wait until June(school's out) to take Tana. We also hunt Big South Fork National Recreation Area in Tennesse.Will be going to Big South Fork in a couple or three weeks, tougher hunting than Texas.