Author Topic: .243 Win bullet weights  (Read 538 times)

Offline MrJames680

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Squirrels are just plain no good.
.243 Win bullet weights
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:48:30 AM »
I have often heard that the lighter bullets for the .243Win are not as accurate due to the fact the bullet is not long enough to reach the rifle groves. Mainly the 55-60gr range. I also read the the 80-100gr bullets seem to be the more accurate because the do seat in the rifling. But i want something a bit more flat shooting.  ;)

My use for my 'Ultra' is for mainly pdogs and squirrel. It seems to me that the 100gr is unnecessary unless hunting larger game like dear. I also wanted a lighter bullet for flatter shoot trajectory.

So my question is if anyone has found a happy medium. I kinda had my heart set on 55gr but am I just being to picky with my load selection? 70gr seems ok but more suited to coyote. I know that whatever weight shot from my rifle will have the killing power necessary for my needs. I am looking for accuracy and consistency.

My goal is to come up with 2 loads, One for deer (100gr obviously) and one for squirrel. I would like to find the brand that works the best for each load and stick with it. I haven't started testing out brands yet but was just kinda hoping to get some input before I do.

Also, maybe I would be better off just reloading myself? I have never reloading anything but 12ga.  I am kinda put off by the time it takes to get through the learning curve of developing my own loads. Any ballistic tables or personal experience or opinion is highly desired. So any one wanting to flick their 2cents in my direction would be greatly appreciated.  8)
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: .243 Win bullet weights
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:25:39 AM »
MrJames680

I have one of the 20" super lite 243 barrels that shoots the 58g V-max VERY well , by very well I mean that I can put 3 rounds in a target @ 100 yards that can be covered by a quarter every time , on a good day with me doing my part that group is cut in 1/2 .

I'm in the process of working up some loads with the 70g Noslers that should do even better , just waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer , hard to shoot good groups when your a human paint shaker .  ;D

Also the 100g Speer BTs do just as well .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 01:29:49 PM »
mrjames, i have used the sierra 85 gr. hpbt on deer for many years. always had clean kills. for lighter varmits i use the sierra 70 gr. blitz with good results.the 70 gr. is good flat shooter. if you want anything to shoot any flatter go to a 22-250 0r 220 swift. the 85 gr. also works good on yote size varmits. take care and good shooting.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »
MrJames  Reload. That's half the fun of shooting. Sometimes I think I would rather load than shoot. Don't let all the complicated talk convince you that you can't do it, these are guys who have done it their whole lives debating about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, the basics are not all that hard, and even the most basic handloading will get you better bullets than you can buy.

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »
what bilmac said is very good advice!!! i have seen guys give up on a rifle and sell it  cheap to some one with patience and a little reloading savy that made the gun into a prized shooter!!

Offline damascus-doug

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »
mrjames, i have used the sierra 85 gr. hpbt on deer for many years. always had clean kills. for lighter varmits i use the sierra 70 gr. blitz with good results.the 70 gr. is good flat shooter. if you want anything to shoot any flatter go to a 22-250 0r 220 swift. the 85 gr. also works good on yote size varmits. take care and good shooting.
I agree with this.  The 1 in 10 twist that these rifles have shoot the 85 grain hpbt (game king) very well.  I use these in my H&R 243, Rossi 243 and  a Remington 700 243.   The 100 grain is right on the high side and can become a stabilization problem depending on the load.  I have used these bullets for everything up to whitetails with no problem.  I also agree with bilmac about relaoding.  It is really fun to find that perfect load for each gun.  I have gone with Sierra bullets over the years due to their Match Kings that I shoot in my 308 and it is really nice to call and talk to one of the techs directly when you hit a bump when trying to get that load just right.  I use IMR 4895 powder and WIN. primers.  Good luck and enjoy.

Offline MrJames680

• Squirrels are just plain no good.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 04:42:13 PM »
Thank you very much for all your input.

Thats another issue that has confused me. The rate of twist and the load being fired. Input any one?

I feared that some of you would tell me to start reloading.
Deep down inside I knew that that where I needed to turn if I am to take this sport serious.

Anyone play with the Barnes Varmint Grenade? I am not so into the the interesting effects of this projectile as I am in it for a clean kill. I just wanna get that round down there in an accurate fashion. Despite the fact that a coke can will look like it had a M80 in it is secondary. Well..... depending on my mood ..    ;D

Anyone wanna sell some equipment. Just kidding....sorta ;D If I am going to be a serious shooter I am realizing need to start reloading.  Until then I will be looking at the 70-80gr range for my varminting. Thanks again everyone!!!

I have been checking out GBO for a while and just want to say that the advise and comments here have been like gold for me. Once again. Thanks! ...and your continued input is anticipated and welcomed.

:)

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 06:07:04 PM »
mrjames, as a rule of thumb the heavier the bullet the faster the twist needed to stablize it. some think just go to a fast twist and shoot anything!! wrong!!! i have demolished 40 gr. bullets in a 1 in 9 twist tube. it was a 220 swift and the bullets were flying apart at the muzzle, or at least before 25 yds. that is a surprising site to a fellar that just the weekend before was shooting pdogs at 600 + yds!!!it took me a couple shots to figure out what the splatter was on the target.(note screen name, not to much education here!) i went to 55 gr. bullets at near the same velocity and all was well.as the bore dia. goes up twist gets a little more tolerant. but in smallbores the weight to length ratio makes twist important ihope this gives you a little better idea about twist.don't be scared of reloading metallics. if you can stuff a shotgun shell you can go reading and learn most of what you need to before you ijnvest a cent. just be sure to use load data from a good source!! a reloding book or books is the best money spent.then stick to the listed data that your rifle shoots good!!! take care and good shooting!!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:43:38 AM »
Yes buy a book first, before you start buying tools.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 01:01:05 PM »
perhaps more then just one book, you might as well get used to being confused ;D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.