Author Topic: What's a good bowling pin load for 38 sp or 357?  (Read 683 times)

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
What's a good bowling pin load for 38 sp or 357?
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »
I am just getting into this.  What a super sport.  However, these guys were using really heavy bullets with some real gitty up.  I checked the manuals, and I see nothing greater than 180.  They are shooting 230 at about 1100, or a PF of about 250.  Don't ask me how, one guy said he uses blue dot.  Needless to say, the pins jump off the table.

I'm shooting lead 158 SWC, cast hardball.  I can purchase bullets, but I'd rather not, just to keep my costs down.  What can I safely push these at in 357?  How about 38 ps?

At 1300 fps, that's just a PF of 205.

What gives?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: What's a good bowling pin load for 38 sp or 357?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:41:24 AM »
I haven't done this much with a 357, but in my 1911 45ACP, a 200Gr hard cast SWC sure sent them spinning!!

Tried it a couple times with my SA long colts. it also worked fine, but took them off the table with a bit more authority!!

I would suggest just what your using a good hard cast lead 158-160 SWC. If these are times or comp events, you need to work on accuracy with less recoil as it will allow you to be back on target smoother. Its really hard to overcome a miss.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:29:35 AM »
Skarke ol buddy - if you like shootin' those bowlin' pins with a 38 spl then use a 200 gn cast swc over 3.8 of WW231.  This is a older Winchester factory load for the 200 gn round nose (before someone turned it into a swc).  This is a standard pressure easy shooting load that hits with authorita.

If you want to use the 357, use the same slug over 5.5 of Unique for about 950'/sec, 7.2 of SR4756 for about 1020'/sec (same range as the old WW 630 loading) or 12.2 of 4227 for the same velocity.  If you want more velocity then use 12.4 gns of WW296 for an approximate 1335'/sec (bbl length dependent I'm sure).

I'm sure Veral has a 200 gn swc mold for the 38/357.  If you want to try those loads until you get a mold, either Colorado Cast Bullets or Mt. Baldy bullets produces the 200 grainer.  HTH.

Offline mangulator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 03:57:33 AM »
I want to confirm what cwlongshot stated, work on accurracy. If you can't hit the pins it doesn't matter what chunk of lead you are throwing out there. Shoot a load that is accurate for your gun and have fun.   

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:05:05 AM »
My favorite load for bowlin' pins outta my 686 is 7.2-7.5 grains of Unique under a cheapo Remmie 158 JSP. Runs right around 1000fps. You can shoot 'em comfortably all day and because they don't tear up the pins too bad, your pins last a lot longer. Just found out last week the same loads work well outta my .357 carbine for pins also.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »
You guys are awesome!!!  I hadn't thought about actually hitting the pins, maybe that'd make a difference ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have a 158 swc mold, thinking about linotype, but it is a little high.  gonna try some 6 2 over a pretty stout load of either blue dot or 800x, seeing where the best velocity comes.

Those bullets proportioned like a fire hydrant get most of the play at my range, and really seem to do the trick when the pins get heavy.  Like I said, the +200 grain .358s take them off like they were hit by a truck, but they cost way more than WW, and even linotype.

This is a great sport.  Hopefully we will continue to be able to get pins (and shoot lead, for that matter, given the current politikal klimate)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:56:24 AM »
the Penn Thunderheads are only about a dime a piece. That doesn't seem too horrible to me.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »
Moxgrove, now that's a bullet!!!!!  230 Grains of thunder and lightning.

Oooooo baby, these are gonna get a look see.

Thanks.

http://www.pennbullets.com/38/38-caliber.html

Offline GameHauler

• Trade Count: (49)
  • A Real Regular
  • Thank you Every One for Positive Feedback
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 12:44:02 PM »
I hate asking questions like this :-\
My quaint little home has not produced to me this sport.
Can someone post a link where I can find out more about it.
Sounds like a ton of fun.
Where do you get the pins?
One little bowling alley here and I know pins are used for fires.
Got to be hard to buy them cheap enough ???
I sure wish someone else would have asked first :-[
Mike

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 04:00:25 PM »
Gamehauler.  We participants at our shoots charge $10 bucks.  We try to get the used pins free, but they are getting harder to find.  We'll probably start buying them.  I've seen several people selling them for $2, which is reasonable, IF you can buy in bulk and freight them in.  UPS would kill you on the shipping.