Author Topic: Improvements to the Springfield XD?  (Read 754 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Improvements to the Springfield XD?
« on: December 20, 2008, 05:04:04 PM »
I own a Springfield XD-9 compact, like the gun.  Noticed that Springfield has issued a new and improved model called the XD(M).  They say in their advertisements that it is improved in strength, is that because the earlier design was weak and caused problems, especially with the hard punching .40 S/W caliber?  My XD-9 seems to be just fine after 6 years of shooting it, but I might buy the full sized gun XD-M in 9 X 19.

Thanks.

Offline XD9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
Re: Improvements to the Springfield XD?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 10:00:44 AM »
I previously owned the XD sub-compact 9mm.  It was a great gun and I loved it.  However, I sold it and bought the full sized XD(M) in 9mm and it is worth every penny.  The 4.5" match grade barrel is extremely accurate and you've got to love the fact that it holds 20 rounds!  The interchangeable back straps are nice but I haven't even tried the other two that came with it.  I don't think the previous XD's are "weak" by any means.  The XD(M) just has a few moderate improvements that make XD series owners even happier.  Plus, if you buy the XD(M) before Jan 15, Springfield is offering two more mags and a mag holder for free via mail in rebate.  That's four 19 round mags that you'll have for the XD(M).  That's hard to beat.  Let us know what you decide to do.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Improvements to the Springfield XD?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:19:08 AM »
I just bought the XDm 40 stainless BiTone and love it.  I was set to get the XD 40 and heard some of the hype, so I checked them both out side by side.  Hands down the XDm was the winner for me.  Feeling them both in my hand was the turning point, the changeable backstraps is a big plus. Great trigger, great accuracy from the match barrel and it holds 16+1.  And I like the fact that you don't have to pull the trigger to field strip it.  I missed the extra mags deal, but picked up a couple at Midway on sale for $25 each, so I have 4 now.  The XD box of goodies is a nice bonus also (2 mags, mag pouch, lock, pancake holster, backstraps and solid carrying case), I don't know why other companies don't do this type of thing.  It wouldn't cost much of anything to put a similar package together for other guns.  The hard case that I got with my R-15 was a joke,  I would have been more impressed with cardboard....
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne