Author Topic: M&P15 or Rock River????  (Read 1415 times)

Offline gnab2

• Trade Count: (0)
M&P15 or Rock River????
« on: June 18, 2009, 05:24:48 AM »
I am going to buy a Entry Tactical.  I can get the M&P a little cheaper than Rock River.  Which one would you get?  I know nothing about the AR world but I am getting into...

Thanks

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: M&P15 or Rock River????
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:10:16 AM »
How about this , build your own and save even more . Most places now have recievers in stock , this requires the paperwork . Then order the kit that you want from any number of places, most kits come with the upper assembled and headspaced you just assemble the small parts , trigger etc. . I have built 2 AR's 1 for $500 and 1 for $600 . If you have to by a complete rifle either you listed would be fine . These are pretty easy to assemble !! ;)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:52:25 AM »
How about this , build your own and save even more . Most places now have recievers in stock , this requires the paperwork . Then order the kit that you want from any number of places, most kits come with the upper assembled and headspaced you just assemble the small parts , trigger etc. . I have built 2 AR's 1 for $500 and 1 for $600 . If you have to by a complete rifle either you listed would be fine . These are pretty easy to assemble !! ;)

Could you break down the prices & how you built your rifles?  I'm interested in learning how you did it for that amount.  I know there are plenty of online free videos on how to put an AR-15 to gether, but I've never done it.  I know you can save $$ doing it that way.  I saved a bunch of money buying a complete lower like I wanted and a complete upper like I wanted and have a tack driving AR for 700, but I wouldn't mind knowing how you put it together for that amount.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:19:06 PM »
RRA!!
Kit guns are fun! But for your first Buy a Factory built rifle. This way you can learn what you have and what you want. plus you have a warranty to fall back on also. RRA  are great rifles and very accurate Right out of the box. 
S&W make fine rifles also.  So either way you can't go wrong.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline RIjake

• Yankee Redneck
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »
I was in your position last year.  I had never built one before either.

I bought a DPMS lower, sat on that for a bit, then bought a lower parts kit and installed it into the lower with the help of the online assembly video from Brownells.  It wasn't difficult at all, just take your time and use good tools. 
Then I went to a gun show and picked up an M&P upper with a full length rail second hand.  It was a former PD trade in I believe.  Added a Rock River stock, a carry handle rear sight and a nice front sight from someone on another forum and that was it!

This was before the price explosion, I probably got $800 into it.

I love the M&P, Here's the rifle that the upper was from.

That's a Troy rail system, which is real nice.  The M&P has the heavy M16 bolt, chrome barrel and is a flat top receiver.

Here's what she looks like now. 

I may add optics later if I win the lottery, but for right now the iron sights are fine.  I've only shot it at 100 yds since that's the farthest my club's range is.  I shoot very tight groups consistently with it.  Problem is ammo's so expensive right now, so until I can get some small rifle primers it sits in the safe :(

Offline coonbait

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 04:13:36 PM »
I like the RRA just my 2 cents
They do shoot well out of box they are also fun to build i just started another build last week.
There can be no divided Allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,but something else also,isnt an American at all.We have room here for but one flag,the American Flag.... We have room for but one Language here,and that is the English Language.....And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:41:17 AM »
there both about equally good guns.
blue lives matter

Offline mrbgt

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 04:58:54 AM »
teddy12b ,I purchased 2 lowers from local gunshows for $120 a piece, I purchased  the 16'' mid length several years ago for $450 from M&A parts (uses Wilson match grade barrels!!) . the second kit I ordered was from Blackthorne it is a 20'' flattop, it was only $369 when I ordered it , they are $389 now . Blackthorne has had some negatives posted about them however my rifle and a friends rifle have both performed great (just a heads up ) . their are numerous companies online from which you can purchase reasonably priced kits from . Just make sure the upper is already assembled or you'll need a barrel wrench and reciever clamshell and bench vise to mount the barrel . as far assembly , just search on-line for assembly instructions . A couple of punches, a hammer and vise grips pretty much will do it .

Offline mrbgt

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:05:25 AM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    here's some pics both rifles shoot under 1 moa , the middy is a little more accurate no doubt due to the Wilson match grade barrel . the 20 '' now has a floating tube and different scope mounts .

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 05:08:09 AM »
Do I understand this right...  So in the kits, the upper is basically complete, but you end up assembling your lower?  That'd be a nice way to save a few bucks.  Nice looking rifles!

Offline mrbgt

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 06:28:57 AM »
you got it . these guns are basically big lego kits . in a complete kit you'll recieve the assembled upper, lower parts , buttstock , everything except the lower reciever . The complete kit is not considered a firearm and can be shipped straight to your house.  the Fed adds a 15% tax on firearms . If you purchase the lower it is the ''firearm'' and taxed accordingly , if you purchase the same lower conected to all the other parts its taxed as a total amount . If you order a complete kit and lower at the same time and ship it to your FFL you'll most likely be taxed on the hole amount . So to save the money you purchase the lower all by its lonesome , then order the kit .

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 07:23:09 AM »
mrbgt,
     You're a good man to know!   ;D  You may have saved me some money in the future.  Who all makes such a kit?  I think Rock River Arms makes a kit, but who else?  Does Colt, S&W, or anyone else? 

Offline mrbgt

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 06:15:03 PM »
very few companies make all their own parts , most order barrels , trigger parts etc. from military contractors and assemble them in there own recievers or recievers made for them with their own logo's . to save the most money you'll want to stay away from a complete ''rock river kit'' or dpms kit . chances are they purchase most of their parts from the same vendors as the no name kits . For the best accuracy I'd try to stick with at least a Wilson barrel . teddy I sent you a p.m.