Author Topic: Scope for Remington 673 350 Mag  (Read 758 times)

Offline peartree

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope for Remington 673 350 Mag
« on: August 31, 2003, 05:01:46 PM »
Ok, guys, lets put on you thinking caps a nd suggest the best concept in scopes for the new Remington 673 in 350 Rem Mag.
I would like a low powered variable.  Been Thinking in the lines of Weaver 1x3, Leupold VX 11 1x4, Bushnell 3200 or 4200, but not sure as concerned the the size of the objectove with the vent rib and open sights.  Want to use Warne maxima mount and detachable rings.  Will consider imput as long as it is not the very expensive european models, as they are out of the price range as just took the yougest to college this weekend, and lord knows that aint't cheap..
Would like to hear all imputs and list to top coice on down and reasons why.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.
peartree

Offline Zachary

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 03:46:52 PM »
peartree,

First off, WELCOME ABOARD!! :D

I'll tell you what - I have an Elite 3200 1.5x-4.5x-32mm Firefly on my .375 H&H and I love it.  As far as toughness is concerned, the 3200 held up to about a box of 300 grain ammo with no problems.  In fact, I got 100 yards groups under half and inch! :eek:   A .350 mag is no slouch, but then again it's no .375 H&H either.  As such, the 3200 - which costs about $200 - is tough to beat.

Now, I do have a complaint, but it's not really about the scope, but rather about the magnification.  My .375 is a Winchester Classic Stainless with open sights.  In fact, the front sight is huge with a hood on it.  As such, at 1.5x, you can clearly see it through the scope, and it kinda bugs me.  You really can't see it past 4x.  I mention this because I know that the Remington 673 also has a huge front sight.  As such, it may also bug you too.

If you can afford it, get the 4200 1.5x-6x-36mm.  The 4200 has better glass, and, with up to 6x magnification, you really shouldn't worry about seeing the front hood.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably get the 4200 model for the extra magnification.  I got the 3200 because 1) I wanted to try out the Firefly reticle, and 2) money was kinda tight at the time.

For the money, you just can't beat the Elite 3200.

Zachary

Offline Dave-o

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 06:01:41 AM »
My .350 Rem mag wears a 2.5-8 Vari-x III. No problems or complaints whatsoever. The 1.5-6X models would be nice, just make sure you get something with adequate eye relief. That 350 will kiss your eyebrow if your not careful- learned that the hard way! The 2.5-8 leupold is a small scope with great eye relief. I also like the extra magnification. 8X is all you'd ever need for that rifle.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 10:58:20 AM »
There are two ways to approach this. One is to use a scope with a 1" or 25mm objective size and keep the rear sight on. The other is to remove the rear sight, use a Weaver type base, buy a New England Custom Weaver-Base Sight, and use QD rings for Weaver type bases. Warne Maxima ring bases, Leupold QD ring bases, and Weaver Grand Slam bases are all steel and are the Weaver type cross slot bases. This would allow a larger objective lens size without having to use high rings. The Nikon 1.5x4.5 scopes are listed as shotgun scopes. They have the parallax set at 75yds and that isn't a problem. They have 3.7-3.5" eye relief. For $250 or less these scope would be as good if not better than a Leupold VariX III. I have a Burris Signature 1.5x6 and it has a small objective lens size. It is vey bright and clear with a wide field of view and 3.5-4" eye relief. IF I had your rifle and planned to use the sights for backup I'd use the Nikon scope and leave the rear sight on. I'm a KISS type guy. (keep it simple stupid) because I'm the guy that would forget to take the rear sight with me. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein