Author Topic: Almost disaster  (Read 429 times)

Offline kix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Almost disaster
« on: March 05, 2009, 01:42:27 AM »
  Hello all and thank goodness. If you read my previous post on the Big Max you might recall my buddy came over and reloaded some 7Mag.,among others. Thought I might relate what "almost" happened. I might add that he doesn't own reloading equip. and has used mine for several years but he is not what I would call "proficient" so I keep an eye on his progress and technique. At any rate,he had already put powder in quite a few 7Mag. cases when for some reason that I can't recall (probably because I soon went into shock) a particular case either caught his eye or something and I asked to look at it. Out of the almost powdered case slides a 150 gr. Nosler B.T.! He didn't know how it got there and of course neither do I. I can only imagine what would have happened to his custom Mag.(and himself) if he had touched off that round! Let's see: 150gr.Nosler plus 154 gr.Hornady plus 55gr. of Accurate 2700. Would this be a true "Plus P" cartridge? Anyone care to speculate what exactly would have happened?  Kix

Offline kix

• Avid Poster
Re: Almost disaster
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 01:55:18 AM »
  Isn't it funny how you can remember when your brain "relaxes". Now I recall-he was in the process of de-capping/re-sizing when he noticed something or the bullet wouldn't have slid out but from there it would have gone to the priming bin so the end result would have been the same-not good.  Kix

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:17:26 AM »
a particular case either caught his eye or something and I asked to look at it.

I would bet on the (Or Something). He may have felt the extra weight of that case but it did not realize the implications so he called it to your attention?

Even when loading light charges (say six grains) in a straight wall pistol case, I have on occasion picked up a case from the wrong row in the loading block (read a completed row) and could tell the weight difference immediately. I always was one to charge the cases then shine a light over them, this is for consistancy reasons but you also get the benifit of safety as well.

Offline kix

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:53:56 AM »
  I just thought of something. Maybe the de-capper would never have made it down to the primer without hitting "the obstruction". Or could it have possibly slid by? A 7Mag. is rather a fat case so I don't know. Obviously my brain has been rattled by this one because I've reloaded for too many years trouble free. I've seen bullets stuck in the barrel because of no powder and another close friend loaned his .243 out and at the range (they were shooting an SKS too) and guess what-loaded a 7.62x39 round in the .243;the result was a wrecked rifle but luckily no injuries. At least that is the story I got but I did see the rifle or what was left of it. Anyway,I just need to let this one go and worry about something else!   Kix

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 03:32:31 PM »
kix

Just another example of why we need to be on our toes at all times , thanks for sharing , it may very well help keep someone from getting hurt .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline kix

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 03:36:14 AM »
  My buddy has been well "trained" to check the powdered cases with a light to look for any anomaly so he probably would have caught the above average powder level. Just kind of freaked me out as to what could have happened.  Kix