Author Topic: .50 Beowulf Cast Bullet Design  (Read 1525 times)

Offline smdavis

• Trade Count: (0)
.50 Beowulf Cast Bullet Design
« on: April 06, 2004, 10:49:45 AM »
I need some feedback before I go off tilting with windmills and generally wasting time, effort and money.

My 50 Beowulf is the most fun you can have in the half-inch format. I want to extend that considerable capability by adding cast bullets to the mix of available terminal toys.

My vision is: a .50 caliber cast bullet weighing between 600 and 650 grains, muzzle velocity 1000 fps - 1100 fps, no gas check, no lead or other fouling to contaminate the gas operated AR-15 system. I will gladly share this and doubtlessly Dan over at Mountain Molds will carve one right out. My barrel length 16" with 1:19 twist ratio.

Problem 1 - The Beowulf is a gas-operated semi-auto, how can we minimize systemic fouling through bullet design. I am willing to do a "clean sheet" new design but I want the opinion of the "conscious".

Problem 2 - OAL fixed and nose length .475 to .5 establishes limited powder volume that might make a super clean powder selection difficult.

Any ideas based on the limitations of the .50 Beowulf in a gas operated system would be appreciated and strongly considered during this design phase. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Offline Hopster

.50 Beowulf Cast Bullet Design
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 05:20:27 PM »
Davis, sorry I can't help you with the cast design but since you are a Beowulf fan I thought I would pick your brain for a moment.
You see, when I bought my Beowulf I also ordered a whole bunch of 350 grain JHP and 400 grain JSP (cat # 5350 and 5400) from Sierra.
An associate of Bill Alexander assured me they would work just fine, however, after pressing for months for the loading data, I have still not received any data on these two rounds. Bill Alexander was supposedly testing the loads as of at least several months ago.
My question :
Do you have any experience with these 2 rounds or any other rounds that would work fine in the Beowulf ?
I'm looking for alternates to some of the rounds that are listed with the Lee die set. I have no experience with load development, and would like to know if you or any other Beowulf fans might have some good info.
Thanks

Offline LISTINGITALL

Re: .50 Beowulf Cast Bullet Design
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 09:17:30 AM »
HELLO STEVE,
I am waiting as we speak to recieve my .50 beowulf upper.it is supossed to be here today.
I wish i had data to offer but at this point i am in the learning phase of this wonderfull weaponary but would like to follow your developments.i will offer the 20 brass cartiges from the only ammo i have if it'll help anything.just let me know.my e-mail is hotrotty@yahoo.com.
i left a message in the calguns ammo forum with a guy who was offering to machine copper bullets! Now that sounded cool to me since i hunt in the ca. condor flight zone and must only use non lead projectiles.
if you need a source in ca. to help in anything just let me know.I am a very resourceful person.
Good luck in your developments
steve bostock

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: .50 Beowulf Cast Bullet Design
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 02:35:34 AM »
i can help you a little. I dont agree with your bullet idea though. I think youd be much better off with a 400-450 grain bullet at around 1600 fps. Flatter shooting and nothing you hit it with is going to die any slower and i dont know if your going to get that beowulf to run with that heavy of a bullet without alot of experimenting with springs. In mine ive been shooting a balistic cast mold 420lfngc. You are going to want a gas check to keep the leading down. I cast out of straight linotype again to keep leading and gas port fowling down and its is the only time cast bullet shooting that i will use a hard lube. My thoughts are that hard lube is more apt to stay on the bullet and not plug the port. Granted in doing that its probably not the best lube to stop leading and thats why the linotype and gas check. I put a 150 of these through my gun yesterday without a bobble and there was very little fouling of the bolt or carrier and the bore was whistle clean. That load smacked large rocks like there was no tommaorw. Speaking of tommarow my wife is going to use the beo to shoot a asian water bufflalo. She is going to use one of kelly shlepps punch bullets though. He wanted me to kill something with it using those bullets or it would be that cast load and ya never know. After the wife is done i might get an itchy trigger finger myself!
blue lives matter