Author Topic: Novice needs help with Elk Hunt in Colorado  (Read 771 times)

Offline adstrin

• Trade Count: (0)
Novice needs help with Elk Hunt in Colorado
« on: August 31, 2003, 01:41:06 PM »
Guys,
I've been thinking about an elk hunt in Colorado for years.  I'm not a big dollar hunter so I'll be on a budget. My question is how would a novice get started. I plan on getting an over the counter tag and trying an area that is fairly accessable. I'm an experienced deer hunter and I'm in fairly good shape. How do I get started.
I'm for gun control as long as I'm the one controlling the gun!!!

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 05:01:32 AM »
:D Get the  Colorado big game liscense booklet. It's full of information on regulations and getting tags and should have some phone #s. Make some calls to DNR personel. Ask questions on line. Get at least a few maps of Colorado so you know what areas you are talking about. Do you already have an area in mind? What weapons are you going to use?

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 05:24:10 AM »
The way I started out of state hunting is by calling a guide and arranging for a small fee that he should give me info on when and where, and when I arrived, giving me a few pointers about the area.  I guess I can't name the guide service, but they did me well.  I also made the trip with three other friends to help cut the cost.

The next time I travelled, it was because I had read a magazine article and I just followed the article's advice and instructions.  It was a good trip.

In fact, I remember at least two articlesthat I believe were in Peterson's Hunting: 1. hunting elk on public land, and 2. low budget elk hunting in Wyoming or Colorado - I forget which.

The only way to get it done is to just go do it.  The success is in making the trip - not in getting an animal.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline adstrin

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 01:52:41 PM »
The area we are going to is Unit 681. Its a non-quota area we can hunt while we try to build points for a quota hunt in the same area.  How would I go about getting a map of that unit. I've tried DOW and the forestry Service and got the run-around. Purchasing info from an outfitter might be the way to go.

Thanks
I'm for gun control as long as I'm the one controlling the gun!!!

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 02:13:18 PM »
"TerraServer V5.0 Homepage" is on the net and it does well as far as maps.  Also there is a program by De Lorme that can be bought or just type "maps" into the search engine.  While you're at it - type "travel" in a search engine and you can find places that will map your trip - giving you the shortest or fastest trips and the miles and times. (mappoint.msn.com)

Don't forget your camera.  My first trip, everything went wrong, but we had a blast and have never forgotten the adventure.  That's what hunting is partly about.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.