Author Topic: trouble with a h&r 22-250  (Read 248 times)

Offline savage308

• Trade Count: (1)
trouble with a h&r 22-250
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:22:57 PM »
well let me start from the beginning,dec 08 i bought a new 22-250 Ultra varment fluted at a local gun shop and 2 40 round boxes of win.45g and got home and mounted a Leupold 2.5 X 10 variXIII and cleaned the bore. I bore sighted as usual and the first shot was on paper at a 100 so i  cleaned and shot again . the second shot was 4" from the first! so i cleaned again and the third was 2" the other way. the trigger pull was almost 8lbs and i noticed a large nick at the crown so i took the gun back to the gun shop the next day and the owner looked at it and we both agreed that he would send it back to H&R for them to check it out.
A couple of days later i called H&R and requested they do a trigger job abd i ordered 4 extra barrels fitted while it was there which customer service said would be no problem
at all.so 3 months later i got a call from the gun shop yhat it had arrived and the crown
had been touched up and all 5 barrels were there so i loaded it all up and headed home to try it out. after cleaning and mounting the scope i shot the same win 45g and it was somewhat better(2"for 3 shots instead of 6") but the trigger was still 8lbs.so i did my own trigger job following the web site instructions and all went well and now its at 4lbs
but now the groups are still 2 to 3 inches with or without the fore end and i have tried
some handloads with 50 g Hornady vmax,36.0 varget and its still 2 to 3 inch groups.
so i tried  35.5 and 36.5 and still no change. what am i doing wrong?

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: trouble with a h&r 22-250
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 04:18:57 AM »
I see that you posted your initial problems on the NEF forum back on Dec 21st but have not been back since the corrections have been made.
I would re-post this entire topic there as they seem to be a great bunch of guys and know those rifles inside out!
Good Luck and Happy shooting to ya.