Author Topic: Talk to a Newb about...  (Read 477 times)

Offline HuntMeister

• Trade Count: (0)
Talk to a Newb about...
« on: March 10, 2009, 03:56:11 PM »
case trimmers please.
I had been pretty much decided on just buying the LEE hand trimming stuff as I am not planning on doing large quantities of reloading. Then today a good friend, same fella who hooked me up with his brother to buy his equipment last week, won a 50% off certificate for Redding goodies at his gun club banquet this w-end and he gave the certificate to me. (I have never really been too much into fate, more inclined to think I control my own destiny but it sure seems me & reloading were destined to be) So now I am thinking about a Redding 1400 series case trimming lathe. Redding states that theirs is unique in that the cutter is stationary while the case rotates, is that important?
The lathe has places for primer pocket cleaner / neck brush tools to mount to the lathe. They also show a cordless drill adapter for it too. I do not believe I have ever heard one bad word about Redding equipment.

So I am thinking whats not to like about it but I would very much like to hear experienced thoughts about this Redding lathe and trimming equipment in general.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Talk to a Newb about...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »
 I have never used one either, but I have sold and handled a few. it is a very nice unit. IMHO, a bit overpriced for the average guy. Probably more than you will need. But you can buy it with all the confidence that it is a good, reliable unit that will serve you very well for a multitude of uses.  If the price is right, go for it!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 06:51:35 PM »
I used the Forster for many years and it works fine but is slow and a lot of work. I did finally get the adapter to use a cordless screwdriver which is better than cranking by hand. I also got their unit to use in conjunction with my drill press when trimming a bunch off cases. I got it when making .30 and .357 Herrett cases.

Now I use the RCBS powered unit. It is honking huge and takes up a lot of bench space but does a good job with very little work.

If I were starting out new and buying my first today I'd get the new Hornady unit that is powered and works vertically rather than horizontally like all others do. I believe it just might be the best one out there.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:02:32 PM »
I agree with Bill - The Hornady unit looks rugged and it looks like it would do a quality job. The price is up there however. Some where in the $300 range. Sounds real pricey - but I have paid $100 for the RCBS Trim Mate and if you buy a quality powered trimmer it is in the $200 range or above . Add them up and you have the cost of the Hornady plus a few bucks. Hand cranking a trimmer gets real old, real fast. First you have to set it and then crank away. If you only have a few to do, and you do not count your time setting it up, they work. If you have a big job to do like trimming 500 cases in a session - I guarantee you you will be real tired of doing this by the time you reach 200 cases with another 300 looking at you in the face. If you have just 100 cases to do and they need a lot of trimming you are going to get sick of it real quick too - setting there while you are using it; thinking how you could make it easier. You say you do not do many cases at a time. I would almost guarantee you that at some point you are going to buy a large quantity of brass and set there trimming away wishing you had a powdered unit of some kind. If you can possibly afford the Hornady - get it. I am sure you will not regret it. If you get a powered unit, I will almost guarantee you will want a Trim Mate or some thing similar down the road and then you will have the same money in it plus. Or you could do like I have; save money here and there buying hand powdered tools or getting a hand powered unit with a drill attachment. In almost every case I have bought a hand powered tool to start with. While I was are running it; wishing I had spent my money on a good powered unit in the first place. In a few cases, I have basically tossed the first tool away and bought a powered unit to replace it. I have not regretted doing it. If I was smart and bought good powered units to start with, I would have money ahead in the long run. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:10:12 AM »
The Redding 2400 and you can  get the power adapter and at 1/2 price it's pretty nice unit.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 06:29:47 AM »
"Redding states that theirs is unique in that the cutter is stationary while the case rotates, is that important?"

The "advantage"of Reddings design for turning the case rather than the cutter is that the case mouths well always be cut truely square.  Personally, I doubt that makes any real difference but a lot of other people do.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 06:35:58 AM »
I do NOT agree that it matters whether the case or trimmer turns as far as the squareness of cut is concerned. Either the design is such that the cut will be square or it is not. Which piece turns does not matter. It's just more advertising hype.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:13:52 AM »

I have to agree with LaOttoo222.  When it comes to doing a lot of trimming the only way to go is a power trimmer.  As I post before I use a Lee trimmer powered by my cordless drill/screwdriver when a lot of trimming in required.  I use my Forester crank trimmer to clean things up and project that require only a few turns of the crank.  Last night I trimmed 40-270 Winchester cases that at most require two turns of the crank.  Easy job and not worth getting the power equipment out. I do not think there is a real time saving.  I find the time it takes to lock a case into and then release it from the shell holder is about the same as doing the same job with the Forester.  The saving with the Lee comes when trimming a lot of material.

I think the Redding 1400 with a fifty percent discount is very deal. Redding makes quality products.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:17:55 AM »

Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline HuntMeister

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 01:20:26 PM »

OK forgive me for being a little thick today, what are you getting at wncchester??

A little update, I talked with Redding via email about how to go about determining retail prices and how to make a purchase. I was told to use the price published on the website or in their catalogs. For example, the 1400 lathe that I spoke of sells for ballpark $77 at online places. Redding has that item priced at $132  :o , so I think I may back off of that Idea. I know they make top shelf equipment but I think I will wait for a good deal on used equipment.
Thanks to all for your thoughts!