Author Topic: Good Customer Service (update)  (Read 1032 times)

Offline BC Steve

• Trade Count: (0)
Good Customer Service (update)
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:26:09 AM »
I had a couple of problems with the 45-70 stainless I purchased a couple of weeks ago through Davidsons.  It was missing the hammer extension and the forend fit was bad (large gap on the right side).  It took me a little while, but once I got through to Ron at H&R he was great.  He's shipping me a hammer extension and a new forend at no charge.  I really expected them to tell me I would have to ship the gun or forend back to get a new one.  There's a chance the new forend won't fit either, but it can't be any worse than the one I got.  I just thought I'd share a good customer service story. ;D

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Good Customer Service!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »
Well alright!
Hope the new forend makes the difference... does the bbl. lug look square?
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »
Glad to hear it, Hope it stays that way.  The handi is to good to let poor CS bring it down a notch or 2.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline BC Steve

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 06:26:59 AM »
Well alright!
Hope the new forend makes the difference... does the bbl. lug look square?

Yes, the forend is bad.  It is cut too wide and the screw hole is slight to one side.  Hopefully the new one will be closer to fit.

Offline BC Steve

Re: Good Customer Service (update)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:57:45 PM »
They sent me the brown laminate instead of the cinnaman laminate.  Now I can't get through to them.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »
They sent me the brown laminate instead of the cinnamon laminate.  Now I can't get through to them.  >:( >:( >:(
I do not believe there is two different browns offered.
What I mean is I am sure your are different, but its simply that the color varies a bit stock to stock. Yours sounds lighter while the replacement sounds darker. Hopefully they will do something for you, but don't be surprised if that is what you hear.  Maybe a call directly to Remington will do you better...

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:03:51 AM »
I have a brown laminate, bought on Ebay last week. Not as fancy as the cinnamon laminate on my Ultra, but way fancier than pallet wood.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 06:31:51 AM »
There are laminated palletwood stocks that have come on Handis in the past, that's probably what they sent ya by mistake. The cinn lams come checkered usually, but they're available uncheckered too.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline BC Steve

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
There are two different laminates brown and cinnamon. 

Here's the cinnamon:

and here's the brown:

The cinnamon has more of the redish/orange tint to it.  The brown is just brown.  I'll probably have to send my misfitting original back to them in order for them to get it right.  The one they sent me is also checkered and I needed the smooth.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 02:23:30 PM »
There is no brown laminate stock listed in the 2008 parts list nor on the H&R website, they call the thumbhole stocks cinnamon or camo, the smooth laminated forend is listed in the FAQs and Help sticky on the retail parts price list #R02332. There is a difference in the shades of the stocks and yours wouldn't be the first that was a mismatch, just ask them to send one that's lighter/darker if they can, we used to send them an email pic to help match it, but they have no email now. One of the benefits of ordering a stock set with an accessory barrel means they can match the stock set for ya.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/hunter.asp

Offline BC Steve

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 03:56:02 PM »
My stock and forend is the color in the first picture.  The replacement forend they sent me is the exactly like the second picture and not even close to the color of my stock.  When they first listed the SB2-T57 on their website it was advertised as having a "brown laminate stock".  They just recently changed it to "cinnamon laminate stock".  I actually expected my stock to look more like the second picture (brown), but it's the standard cinnamon.  I'll probably have to send them the original forend to get a closer match.  Hopefully, I can get through to them tommorow.  Thanks for the inputs/information.  What kind of company nowdays does not have e-mail? 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »
My stock and forend is the color in the first picture.  The replacement forend they sent me is the exactly like the second picture and not even close to the color of my stock.  When they first listed the SB2-T57 on their website it was advertised as having a "brown laminate stock".  They just recently changed it to "cinnamon laminate stock".  I actually expected my stock to look more like the second picture (brown), but it's the standard cinnamon.  I'll probably have to send them the original forend to get a closer match.  Hopefully, I can get through to them tommorow.  Thanks for the inputs/information.  What kind of company nowdays does not have e-mail? 

Not true on the brown laminate "name", the 2008 catalog which came out in late 2007 describes the thumbhole lams as cinnamon laminated, they've always been named cinnamon by H&R, but Boyds' calls it nutmeg, same stock tho, I have a Boyd's "nutmeg" 2nd on my 7x57, the slick cinnamon forend came from H&R, it matches perfectly, so it's just a matter of shade, some are darker than others.

Not surprising on the email, Marlin and Remington don't have an email either, Remington used to have an internal email system, but it's gone from their website.  :-\

Hope ya get it sorted out quickly.  ;)

Tim

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/About/ContactUs.asp

http://www.remington.com/about/company_information.asp

Offline BC Steve

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »
They don't describe it as "cinnamon laminate" in the online version of the catalog.  Please see page 14 of 2008 catalog (link below) and you will see this paragraph.  H&R is using the term "brown laminate thumbhole stock". 

NEW Ultra-Hunter Thumbhole. With the introduction of the
Hornady LEVEREVOLUTIONTM ammunition, the 45-70 Gov’t cartridge
has been revitalized. As a result, H&R has expanded the 45-70
lineup with a “first-ever” ALL stainless barrel and receiver, super
deluxe 45-70 with a brown laminate thumbhole stock. This rifle
comes equipped with a ballistic enhancing 24" stainless steel
heavy barrel to help with those “longer than average shots.”

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/HR_2008_Catalog.pdf

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »
At least they're consistent, the 2008 catalog has the same typo, they left out cinnamon on the page 14 Ultra Hunter description, in the paragraph above it states cinnamon brown laminate. They're the same stock set, the descriptions on page 15 are all identical,  I have one of each, a 243 t-hole Ultra Varmint and the 45-70 Ultra Hunter.  You're looking for a stock set that doesn't exist, I have the 19 page October 2008 H&R parts list, there is no brown laminate stock, just cinnamon or camo. Like I said, get them to try and match your stock, even if you have to send them a printed pic of yours by mail. ;)

Tim

NEW Ultra-Varmint Thumbhole. H&R has added varmint
rifles with a classy cinnamon brown laminate thumbhole stock
in 223 Rem., 22-250 Rem., and 243 Win. They have a 24" heavy
barrel and operate on our classic single shot break action frame.

lineup with a “first-ever” ALL stainless barrel and receiver, super

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 03:15:14 PM »
The first Thumb hole stocks I saw on the shelf several months ago had one 223 with badly mismatched wood straight from the factory.  It was bad enough I don't know how it left the factory that way.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline BC Steve

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »
At least they're consistent, the 2008 catalog has the same typo, they left out cinnamon on the page 14 Ultra Hunter description, in the paragraph above it states cinnamon brown laminate. They're the same stock set, the descriptions on page 15 are all identical,  I have one of each, a 243 t-hole Ultra Varmint and the 45-70 Ultra Hunter.  You're looking for a stock set that doesn't exist, I have the 19 page October 2008 H&R parts list, there is no brown laminate stock, just cinnamon or camo. Like I said, get them to try and match your stock, even if you have to send them a printed pic of yours by mail. ;)

Tim

NEW Ultra-Varmint Thumbhole. H&R has added varmint
rifles with a classy cinnamon brown laminate thumbhole stock
in 223 Rem., 22-250 Rem., and 243 Win. They have a 24" heavy
barrel and operate on our classic single shot break action frame.

lineup with a “first-ever” ALL stainless barrel and  ;Dreceiver, super

I understand it's a cinnamon forend I'm needing and I appreciate your recommendations.  I was just trying to show you where I found the term "brown laminate" so you didn't think I was making it up.  I did talk to them today and they are going to send me another cinnamon laminate (smooth) forend.  Hopefully I will luck out and it will be closer to the tint of my stock.  ;D