Author Topic: New Forum Sponsor Added  (Read 3686 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Forum Sponsor Added
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 02:03:07 PM »
By the way mortars have bases not sleds.

Beds
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2009, 02:07:33 PM »
By the way mortars have bases not sleds.

Thought some of em were known to have  "sled bases"   ???
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 02:17:05 PM »
"Baseplates" is what the Marine Corps called them ...SO that is what they ARE .  ;D Semper Fi !

My dad who was a watercooled machine gunner in Pattons 3rd army said they were baseplates , AND he said the guys who carried the "sleds" , "baseplates" , "bases" or any other nomenclature you chose had many other colorfull and sorted words to described the heavy thinages .

He also told me the guy humping them was bullet proof ...from the rear ! Well who in the hell cares about stopping a bullet after it has gone thru...?  Thats what he told me . Thank goodness he's still ticking along .   :)

rocklock
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 06:40:56 AM »
Base plates are for the modern Stokes style mortars.  Yes the Coehorns and siege mortars have beds, not bases or sleds.  My vision was momentarily obscured by lint in my belly button.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 08:01:58 AM »
Not to interupt your contemplation of your naval, Double D, but I'm picking up a neat lttle cannon from Ed...Hope he will ship it as soon as he can. I'll try to get a pic to you to possibly post...I can't do it with WebTv, at least I don't think so! 2.25" dia, .75 cal, 13 inches long, barrel only, but I can work on a mount. At least that is the plan for now! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 10:44:42 AM »
Civil War mortars had beds.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »
I stand corrected , Beds not bases . Armorer77

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
Double D,ah contemplating your navel again?????, Frank

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 01:40:35 PM »
Yepper, lint it was....

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 05:39:27 PM »
 Blaster, and Armorer77, I've seen the terms 'sled base', and 'sled bed' used many times before, some here and also in other places, (I'd imagine because this type of bed really does resemble a sled) but if you wanted to be historically realistic for the time period that we encompass in our discussions of artillery, according to the rules of the board, (in or before 1898) then the accurate term for a mortar's mount would be 'bed'.
DD's use of the word 'base', and RocklockI's dad's, and Corps instructor's use of the word 'baseplate' are absolutely correct for some of the the modern era's mortars, (as DD has already stated) their just wrong for the antique era that's the purview of our forum.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2009, 06:59:07 AM »
Boomlover , I will save you the trouble . Here is the tube I am selling

This was one of my first designs , I wasn't trying for any historical design , one of my friends had blowm up a couple of water pipe "cannons" and I use that word in the loosest sense possible . I convinced him I had a better way . I had a piece of .75"IDx3"OD seamless machinist tubing and had been reading this forun long enough to be aware of the wall=chamber rule so I ended up with this . I won't say you can't blow it up , but I can say you will have to try really hard . All current models are bored & turned out of solid bar stock . Armorer77

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2009, 07:40:47 PM »
Thanks, Armorer77! I didn't know if I could post a pic or not! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2009, 10:25:14 AM »
Due to the current economic situation , I have decided to offer more bang for your BUCK , literally . Anyone who buys one of my GB or larger mortars or cannons will recieve a Marble Mortar FREE  base not included . The country may be having a recession , but I refuse to participate . Armorer77